Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
If they did then it breaks their own compatibility in a way. They could be all means change the Keys if they released say an E41A controller, or E41B controller.
Lets (safely) assume there is a only a handful of people at GM that know their private signing key for a particular controller so they can be reflashed via OBD-II. We know it is impossible to reverse engineer what that key value might be so the only way to get the private key is from one of those people. Imagine tomorrow EFILive released tuning for this E41 where we could correctly sign the calibrations so when it is processed with the public key in the ECM it works out, GM are not going to turn a blind eye to that and heads would roll and lawyers would smell blood, it's not a good situation at all.
Maybe there is an exploit that someone will discover down the track, who knows.

Unfortunately, yes that about sums it up.

Would a flood of letters to GM explaining that cutting off aftermarket alterations is going to be detrimental to their sales once word gets out actually change anything? Probably not and it may be external pressures have forced them to take this path. As soon as this finds its way in to the gas controllers (which I assume it will) then GM will be in trouble with their performance cars, nobody wants to go see ten 2018 Corvette's run the exact same times down the drag strip because nobody can tune them, that would be embarrassing really.
I see the value of the LML just went up...........LOL

I think a 2016 is going to be the last one then.

It's too bad, but for a long time GM and other big name manufacturers have been trying to crush any parts that compete with genuine GM parts, there was a big deal a few years back with them trying to forbid anyone from installing anything other than genuine GM or FORD or whomever parts on anything, right down to wiper blades !!

You will see a hoarding of older trucks, and sales will continue, but guys who want to personalize and go faster will hold onto tunable vehicles, I see many people wanting to hang onto LB7 and LBZ models for those reasons, especially in Communist CA and other blue emissions zealot states.

When a enthusiast cannot even change his speedo for tires and a lift or remove the speed limiter its a non-starter.

I was going to do some mods to my 2012, but I am now looking for a low mileage/pristine and stock 2016........I don't want a new truck that is forced to remain stock, and many others will think the same way.

Maybe save the $10K and get a gasser..........LOL