Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    It would have to be their own ECM OS written from scratch or they'll find themselves in court if they reused any of GM's code. That is the impressive part for me, not sure how many people work there but companies like Bosch, Delphi etc have 'buildings' full of engineers to come up with what they do.
    I was "told" he wrote a lot of code for those above named companies, he is from what I was told a very high level OS programmer and skilled encryption expert.

I have known the person financing the projects for 8 or 9 years, he has been a long time customer and friend, I knew he was working on this project, but I never thought he would get it done this quickly.

I have reached out to him, waiting to hear back.

But lots of stuff going on in that company, the guy financing it loves to go fast and make lots and lots of power, all the vehicles pictured on his web site, the white/pink LLY the black LB7 and the Kodiak are all tuned by me, he is a great person and very smart business wise.

I am sure a gaggle of high priced lawyers are already on it !!!
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

I can't imagine it would be very hard if you are not concerned about the massive feature list of the original ECU.

The big kicker is finding a nice micro controller to build off of. And a Decent RTOS. But, a decent RTOS is lots of dollars. (I think the LML uses something from etas?). You could also make your own, and that really just becomes a question on how fancy you want to be.

Lifetime Member

I hope he is successful the power-sports side I bet does really well in time, hopefully the diesel side goes somewhere but the LB7-LMM is a tuff market since it can be handled easily with what we have. The LML I could see a maybe but it's slowly coming along with what we have just not perfect.
    04 LB7
    2010 LMM
    2015 LML

Quote Originally Posted by rcr1978 View Post
    I hope he is successful the power-sports side I bet does really well in time, hopefully the diesel side goes somewhere but the LB7-LMM is a tuff market since it can be handled easily with what we have. The LML I could see a maybe but it's slowly coming along with what we have just not perfect.
    Last time we talked, which was before Xmas 2016, he told me that the goal was to have simplicity of the code, meaning that all the tables that screw up on LLY-LML in the background due to the may emissions tables were out, gone, and the code as far as how it would control the ecm would be like an LB7, fuel, boost, timing, its geared more towards a race/purpose built vehicle, as in go fast without issues.

I was told back in the beginning the pricing would be less that this is, as in this much higher than his initial cost estimate, I am not sure how many people will pay $5k for an ecm/harness.

In the case of a transplanted LML, no vats, no BCM, no DIC messages, etc, so for an option of say a square body chevy with a LML transplant I can see that becoming easy to do.

Its one ECM, I am not sure there is any difference other than the harness and the code, I am waiting to get one, even if its just for testing on my 2012 LML.
    www.mscservices.net

What is the chance of snooping in on the data being transmitted over the obd if the is any future updates to see what is transmitted and look for this key? Or is the key different for each segment so this would be impractical?
    2008 Chevrolet 3500HD DRW LTZ
    285/75/17 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4.56 gears, Front and rear ARB lockers, Efi Live tuning by me, Raptor 160 LP, Cognito 4-6 NTB Lift, 4" Exhaust, Built Trans by Mike L.

Sold - 2004 LB7 Duramax, EFI Live with DSP5 Tune
    stage 4 SC transmission, 265/70/16 tires

It is different boss

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, Custom tune on v2 for daily driver, 33x12.5 nitro at on 20 inch American steal wheels, modded factory air box, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, Turbo port and polish, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust axle dump, 10mm lbz cp3 pump, Dual Yellow Top Optimas, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, FEd Y Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by LB72004 View Post
    What is the chance of snooping in on the data being transmitted over the obd if the is any future updates to see what is transmitted and look for this key? Or is the key different for each segment so this would be impractical?
    Quote Originally Posted by t.ashton View Post
    It is different boss
    Exactly, LB72004 I posted the link to an explanation on how SHA hashing works HERE.
    But to quickly answer your question, the 'private' key GM sign these calibrations with is never transmitted on the CAN bus, it is never let loose outside of GM engineering so it is impossible for anyone but them to sign calibrations correctly.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Can they be flashed from the back door? Or is it locked too?

Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post
    Can they be flashed from the back door? Or is it locked too?
    128 bit encrypted according to ROSS.

They got serious this time................!
    www.mscservices.net

Guys, there is no encryption on these ECM's, lets get the terminology correct.
    There is a password on the 'back door' as it was put (and sorry, it is 64 bit, not 128), but either way you ain't getting in unless you know it. This is the password that protects the ECM from being opened up and the flash dumped out using JTAG tools (Google PowerPC censorship password).
    The flash segments again are not encrypted in any way, they just have a SHA-256 signature included that nobody other than GM can calculate with their private key that must be sent and validated during the OBD-II flash.
    So yes doors are closed and the keys broken off in the lock, nothing to see here folks please move on to your nearest Dodge or FORD dealership.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast