Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
Tuning issue aside, doesn't this create a complete monopoly on repair of GM vehicles. You must go to a dealer, pay what ever they want and wait as long as make you?? It's this just the same issue John Deere has created -by contract, not technology- that prevents farmers from repairing their own tractors (and has precipitated state legislator involvement - https://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-o...ip-john-deere/). Doesn't this destroy the idea of ownership?? Seems to me we should stop trying to find work-arounds and standalones and start writing legislators.

I was going to wait a few years to buy another Cummins, and I was hoping the '19 rumored EGR-less engine would happen. But if that ecm is locked down I'd be forced to buy a 18'. Keeping a close Eye on the '19 Cummins
I don't think this prevents people from flashing a tune with aftermarket equipment , only problem is the tune has to have a signature that's encypted, meaning the only ones who can make tunes is GM since they are the only ones who have the key to that signature. If you had to repair an ecm or something you could still do it yourself with but you can only flash it with stock software that's verified to pass emmissions.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk