Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Duramax

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Tuning issue aside, doesn't this create a complete monopoly on repair of GM vehicles. You must go to a dealer, pay what ever they want and wait as long as make you?? It's this just the same issue John Deere has created -by contract, not technology- that prevents farmers from repairing their own tractors (and has precipitated state legislator involvement - https://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-o...ip-john-deere/). Doesn't this destroy the idea of ownership?? Seems to me we should stop trying to find work-arounds and standalones and start writing legislators.

I was going to wait a few years to buy another Cummins, and I was hoping the '19 rumored EGR-less engine would happen. But if that ecm is locked down I'd be forced to buy a 18'. Keeping a close Eye on the '19 Cummins
    GM indicated that this stuff is their intellectual property, so reflashing now violates the law in a way. I can see GM circumventing said monopoly in a catch 22 sort of way where they offer their scanners to repair shops at a price no sane person would ever pay.
    Last edited by Supercharged111; March 19th, 2018 at 08:16 AM.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
    I don't think this prevents people from flashing a tune with aftermarket equipment , only problem is the tune has to have a signature that's encypted, meaning the only ones who can make tunes is GM since they are the only ones who have the key to that signature. If you had to repair an ecm or something you could still do it yourself with but you can only flash it with stock software that's verified to pass emmissions.
    Spot on, anyone with a TIS subscription can flash a correctly signed factory file in to an L5P, GM haven't restricted that.
    What will make things even more interesting is when the CAN bus becomes encrypted (2020 I think I read), Maybe like Dodge do now they will have a gateway module on the OBD-II port that only translates allowed messages to pass and get encrypted so scantools continue to work but of course that mean they can block whatever they want from reaching the modules.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

I guess you could argue if there was something wrong in the calibration and gm wouldn't release a fix, you would have the right to fix it yourself, but then again if it affected emissions integrity I do know? I guess the only thing we can do now is boycott gm products but I have a feeling everyone will follow along.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Lifetime Member

Yup. Long term the RPM Act will slowly become a moot point.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.

Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
    I guess the only thing we can do now is boycott gm products but I have a feeling everyone will follow along.

I agree, with the onslaught of driving automation (who is asking for this BTW) and cars connected to the internet then all manufacturers will make their cars as secure as technically possible. Boycotting GM won't do much, I doubt they will reverse what they've spent many years perfecting so the aftermarket can continue to modify their cars.
    Last edited by GMPX; March 19th, 2018 at 10:26 AM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I agree, with the onslaught of driving automation (who is asking for this BTW) and cars connected to the internet then all manufacturers will make their cars as secure as technically possible. Boycotting GM won't do much, I doubt they will reverse what they've spent many years perfecting so the aftermarket can continue to modify their cars.
    Yeah I'm really against the obsession of driverless cars, I support safetey systems that help us avoid accidents, but it's a very sad time I feel time is running out very fast for us.

I still think there are still too many scenarios to account for to make a completely autonomous vehicle, every one of these scenarios must be programmed in. Funny how Tesla gets away with literally killing people, and gm gets sued because people decided to put way to much on their key chains. Tesla gets away with it because the do gooders say they are green and saving the world from the evil corporate America.

Turning America into a dictoatorship country

Dictatorship *

Lifetime Member

Is this what our fathers and grandfathers said in 1970 when the hp wars began grinding to a halt in favor of emissions? Are we now the crusty old dudes?

Europe is worse, Diesel cars will be totally banned by 2025 I think it was.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast