Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    If they did then it breaks their own compatibility in a way. They could be all means change the Keys if they released say an E41A controller, or E41B controller.
    Lets (safely) assume there is a only a handful of people at GM that know their private signing key for a particular controller so they can be reflashed via OBD-II. We know it is impossible to reverse engineer what that key value might be so the only way to get the private key is from one of those people. Imagine tomorrow EFILive released tuning for this E41 where we could correctly sign the calibrations so when it is processed with the public key in the ECM it works out, GM are not going to turn a blind eye to that and heads would roll and lawyers would smell blood, it's not a good situation at all.
    Maybe there is an exploit that someone will discover down the track, who knows.

Unfortunately, yes that about sums it up.

Would a flood of letters to GM explaining that cutting off aftermarket alterations is going to be detrimental to their sales once word gets out actually change anything? Probably not and it may be external pressures have forced them to take this path. As soon as this finds its way in to the gas controllers (which I assume it will) then GM will be in trouble with their performance cars, nobody wants to go see ten 2018 Corvette's run the exact same times down the drag strip because nobody can tune them, that would be embarrassing really.
    I see the value of the LML just went up...........LOL

I think a 2016 is going to be the last one then.

It's too bad, but for a long time GM and other big name manufacturers have been trying to crush any parts that compete with genuine GM parts, there was a big deal a few years back with them trying to forbid anyone from installing anything other than genuine GM or FORD or whomever parts on anything, right down to wiper blades !!

You will see a hoarding of older trucks, and sales will continue, but guys who want to personalize and go faster will hold onto tunable vehicles, I see many people wanting to hang onto LB7 and LBZ models for those reasons, especially in Communist CA and other blue emissions zealot states.

When a enthusiast cannot even change his speedo for tires and a lift or remove the speed limiter its a non-starter.

I was going to do some mods to my 2012, but I am now looking for a low mileage/pristine and stock 2016........I don't want a new truck that is forced to remain stock, and many others will think the same way.

Maybe save the $10K and get a gasser..........LOL
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Lifetime Member

I know this was brought up before during the initial LML tuning issues debate back in 2011, but what are the chances that a LML ECM could be setup to run a L5P???? ...... in a 2017 truck???? Just a random thoughts on something to try ....

Bosch vs Denso.

Different fuel system............so NOPE.

Banks has a stand alone, but it will not work with a vehicle like a new L5p.

Its going to be a long road, with maybe no way to tune them, unless after 5 years GM decides to release the key, after warranty is out, but I highly doubt that is going to ever happen either.

They want to keep it locked down, and they have done just that.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Just give it time, much is yet to be seen.

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, Custom tune on v2 for daily driver, 33x12.5 nitro at on 20 inch American steal wheels, modded factory air box, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, Turbo port and polish, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust axle dump, 10mm lbz cp3 pump, Dual Yellow Top Optimas, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, FEd Y Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by t.ashton View Post
    Just give it time, much is yet to be seen.
    Of course you can tune them. You have access to the hardware. All measures to prevent that are just obfuscation. But you need to remember the bulk of our customers and money comes from day to day drivers. These people don't want to take out their ECM and send it off the be tuned, nor should you expect them to. There is no profit here, and at the end of the day everyone is here to put bread on the table.

Tuning through OBD2 might be possible if some easy to exploit vulnerability exists, but how much you can do through over the CAN is really limited. It's unlikely any vulnerability exists at all, and you would still need the RND to find and exploit that vulnerability.

So that means tackling the encryption directly is the only 'viable' solution. Because if you did that you can flash over OBD2 just like you can with the LMl and others. But now we are back to the issue we were already talking about....

So! If you want you can explore the realm of mathematics and look at the SHA2 algorithim. One of two possibilites will happen.

1. You never figure it out.

2. Your door gets busted down and you will have guns pointed at your head. Welcome to the NSA. You work for us now.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    When a enthusiast cannot even change his speedo for tires and a lift or remove the speed limiter its a non-starter.
    Not only simple stuff like that, we have customers in the gas world that are GM approved fitters of CNG systems for late model gas trucks that must disable E85 etc. If this security flows on to the gas ECM's then they are stuck too because GM cannot legally modify calibrations for them, they are 100% reliant on aftermarket tuning solutions and the irony is their CNG conversions are 100% EPA approved.
    I don't know, maybe a 2017 Dodge RAM isn't a bad option? I jumped off the GM ship on my last vehicle purchase because of what they did with Holden.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

We are not to an entirely digital platform yet. Modules are dependent on a network of devices that talk to each other. Vendors with deep pockets will end up replacing the entire network(all the modules) and writing a new base tune from which an entire generation of tuners will be born. After a base is made then tuning companies, vendors, and individual tuners the world over will begin refining and customizing.

Like I said, just wait.

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, Custom tune on v2 for daily driver, 33x12.5 nitro at on 20 inch American steal wheels, modded factory air box, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, Turbo port and polish, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust axle dump, 10mm lbz cp3 pump, Dual Yellow Top Optimas, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, FEd Y Bridge.

Really not certain what solutions will be taken. Much like EFI, PPEI has also established great connections in the programming industry - long story short... We have spent literally hundreds of thousands trying to crack this ECU and we have only made it full circle to see we currently see no way of it being done.

Now, i'm sure someone will think outside the box and (Even maybe simply) make it happen... but all of my techniques and contacts have been exhausted.. We will not be visiting L5P for at least a few months again... No clue what is going to be done!
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    We have spent literally hundreds of thousands trying to crack this ECU and we have only made it full circle to see we currently see no way of it being done.
    Thanks Kory, it's a sad day for GM Diesel that is for sure.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Probably come down to replacement hardware, these guys appear to be working on the older stuff not sure if they will last I don't foresee them flying off the shelf at that price. https://www.razemotorsports.com/prod...ax-lml-ecu-kit
    04 LB7
    2010 LMM
    2015 LML

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast