Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Duramax

Lifetime Member

My guess is there will be a gap. Just like when we went from carb to OBDI EFI and that was the devil. Either the aftermarket will eventually figure out how to hack the factory PCMs with different methods (maybe a mole leaks a secret?), or the standalone industry will step up. Either way, this really jives with that RPM act that the EPA tried ramming down our throats a year or so ago. One thing's for sure, it looks like the cost of tuning just went through the roof on the new stuff ASSuming someone can do it. Lucky for me I'm not afraid of old shit so it'll be a while before I'm butthurt by a lack of ability to tune my own rides. My real concern is without the ability to remain relevant with new stuff, how long will EFILive survive and support what they have cracked? Or will your focus shift to unlocking more capability to older modules? It's difficult to project how profitable that may be. On one hand, it's not the new new but on the other hand, if that's what we're relegated to then it is relevant.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    My real concern is without the ability to remain relevant with new stuff, how long will EFILive survive and support what they have cracked? Or will your focus shift to unlocking more capability to older modules? It's difficult to project how profitable that may be. On one hand, it's not the new new but on the other hand, if that's what we're relegated to then it is relevant.
    We saw this coming a year ago when the L5P ECM (aka E41) hit the streets which is why our focus has been on developing non traditional EFILive markets for the last year (Cummins HD) and we will keep going back to support older HD ECM's too.
    Will ECM tuning become the next Playstation & Xbox mod chip industry where eventually the modifiers got outsmarted by technology? Yes, I believe so.
    Last edited by GMPX; March 8th, 2018 at 02:04 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

what about the 2018 2.8 duramax for the Colorado?

Should be ok, I haven't seen a 2018 2.8L Colorado file yet but some other 2018 vehicles that use E98's have been tuned so they have not migrated to the new security the E41 is using.
    But keep in mind at some point GM will migrate all vehicles over to the new security for their connected vehicles, that might mean new ECM's to replace ones currently in use or they may update them (like T87 to T87A).
    Last edited by GMPX; March 8th, 2018 at 02:25 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I’m trading my 2017 2500 duramax for a Colorado duramax... music to my ears

Wow, that bad hey ?

Yeah I mean no point in having a 2500, can’t delete it

EFILive doesn't have delete parameters in E98 either.

Tuning issue aside, doesn't this create a complete monopoly on repair of GM vehicles. You must go to a dealer, pay what ever they want and wait as long as make you?? It's this just the same issue John Deere has created -by contract, not technology- that prevents farmers from repairing their own tractors (and has precipitated state legislator involvement - https://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-o...ip-john-deere/). Doesn't this destroy the idea of ownership?? Seems to me we should stop trying to find work-arounds and standalones and start writing legislators.

I was going to wait a few years to buy another Cummins, and I was hoping the '19 rumored EGR-less engine would happen. But if that ecm is locked down I'd be forced to buy a 18'. Keeping a close Eye on the '19 Cummins
    06,QC,4X4-ARE top, Bedslide ,EFILive tuned my me and Anarchy, FASS, DTT, ATS 5000 twins, PDR cam, BD IC, Carli/Thuren, Warn Air/Winch, F1 Springs, Studs
    01,QC,4X4-Banks PowerPack, RV275s,PDR35/14, FASS, Carli/Thuren/Lorenz, OnBoard Air, DTT, ARB/Warn

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Tuning issue aside, doesn't this create a complete monopoly on repair of GM vehicles. You must go to a dealer, pay what ever they want and wait as long as make you?? It's this just the same issue John Deere has created -by contract, not technology- that prevents farmers from repairing their own tractors (and has precipitated state legislator involvement - https://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-o...ip-john-deere/). Doesn't this destroy the idea of ownership?? Seems to me we should stop trying to find work-arounds and standalones and start writing legislators.

I was going to wait a few years to buy another Cummins, and I was hoping the '19 rumored EGR-less engine would happen. But if that ecm is locked down I'd be forced to buy a 18'. Keeping a close Eye on the '19 Cummins
    I don't think this prevents people from flashing a tune with aftermarket equipment , only problem is the tune has to have a signature that's encypted, meaning the only ones who can make tunes is GM since they are the only ones who have the key to that signature. If you had to repair an ecm or something you could still do it yourself with but you can only flash it with stock software that's verified to pass emmissions.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast