Thread: Hpt to EFI conversion

Default Hpt to EFI conversion

I had a vehicle dropped off with pcm locked to a hpt box. I had previous tuner send me the hpt file that's supposedly unlock from hpt tech support can someone convert this to an efilive file or can I somehow? I can attach file if need be. Or is it possible for my to write flash over the hpt file even though I cannot read flash.. the is a 12592618 it's a engine swap btw. Thanks in advance
    2004 joe gibbs, rcsb, t-56 6 speed, 4.8l supercharged 10#, cam, bolt-ons, etc
    1987 gnx
    d-21 allis chalmers 3000 hp 504ci on alcohol
    2004 dmax tow pig

Lifetime Member

You will have to either flash the PCM with the unlocked HPT file or you might be able to enter the custom key that the HPT file locked the PCM with. Otherwise, you'll have to pull the PCM flash chip out and bench flash it back to a known configuration with a chip burner. At that point, probably easier to either send it out or buy a new one.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I was supplied an unlocked hpt file I just do not have hpt
    1987 gnx
    2004 dmax tow pig

Lifetime Member

HPT is free to view, no license required. So why not just find a base EFI file and copy particular tables modified from the HPT manually over to the EFI tune.

sounds like its hptuners tunerlock on the pcm. so what you need is the actual code to unlock the ecu to flash over it.

probably easier for you to just change pcm out with another & start from scratch.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by relentless addiction View Post
    I was supplied an unlocked hpt file I just do not have hpt
    Great, but until it's flashed to your PCM with a HPTuners cable, you cant do anything with it. EFILive cannot read/flash HPTuner files and vice-versa. This would also require someone to license your PCM for ~$100 with HPT which they will (likely) pass the cost onto you. If you can have your previous tuner reflash your PCM with this unlocked file, you'll be set to tune with EFILive. If this isnt an option (location, out of business, etc.) then you're better off doing what Tre-Cool mentioned and getting a new PCM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    sounds like its hptuners tunerlock on the pcm. so what you need is the actual code to unlock the ecu to flash over it.

probably easier for you to just change pcm out with another & start from scratch.
    Yep, think that's the easiest and most cost-effective option.
    ~Erik~
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.

Send the tuner the PCM, since it seems you are in contact with the guy. Let them unlock it.
    Or just go buy a new PCM from bone yard.
    I hate people that lock PCMs. There's nothing that any normal person can't duplicate, your tune is not a secret. Also, it is a hassle to get calls from people wanting their PCM unlocked. Isn't it against the law to hold a person's property hostage? Kind of like "extortion."
    Last edited by Chevy366; April 21st, 2017 at 06:53 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

I gonna buy hptuners is believe I have a lot of interest in the 03-05 Cummins sci buss anyway. Now waiting to find out if the gm hpt is upgradeable to Cummins or if it's a separate purchase... that will be determining factor. Thanks for the replies!
    1987 gnx
    2004 dmax tow pig

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by relentless addiction View Post
    I gonna buy hptuners is believe I have a lot of interest in the 03-05 Cummins sci buss anyway. Now waiting to find out if the gm hpt is upgradeable to Cummins or if it's a separate purchase... that will be determining factor. Thanks for the replies!
    Check their website out when you go to purchase, your question is answered in detail there (short answer, yes). Report back once you've unlocked your PCM and are tuning away with EFILive on it.
    ~Erik~