Thread: Using Scan tool Console tab

Lifetime Member

Default Using Scan tool Console tab

This might be a silly question, but I am wondering if I can use EFI Scan to "monitor" memory addresses in an LS1B PCM. Specifically, I am working through a disassembly of a 512 kB OS, and notice that many of the memory addresses that are being used come from $FFFF8000 and above. I believe this is the memory of the PCM which gets used to do all the calculations, and it is not the same thing as what we flash in when we flash the OS. The flash part is $00000000 through $0007FFFF.

What I was wondering if there was a way to query a memory address using EFI Live (in this case EFI Scan). Maybe something similar to a OBD II message string???? If so, could this be done under the Console tab in EFI Scan?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bu View Post
    This might be a silly question, but I am wondering if I can use EFI Scan to "monitor" memory addresses in an LS1B PCM. Specifically, I am working through a disassembly of a 512 kB OS, and notice that many of the memory addresses that are being used come from $FFFF8000 and above. I believe this is the memory of the PCM which gets used to do all the calculations, and it is not the same thing as what we flash in when we flash the OS. The flash part is $00000000 through $0007FFFF.

What I was wondering if there was a way to query a memory address using EFI Live (in this case EFI Scan). Maybe something similar to a OBD II message string???? If so, could this be done under the Console tab in EFI Scan?
    The V8 Scan Tool software has (will have) an option to allow users to create their own generic, enhanced and DMA (Direct Memory Access) PIDs. That will allow you to monitor RAM memory via the scan tool. It is currently still being tested internally and should be available for beta testing in one of the next few beta releases.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Lifetime Member

Blacky , thanks for the quick reply. I take it that the V7.5 scan can not be used. I guess I was looking for something like you guys had with good ol V4 (yes, I still use V4 for playing with my old LT1☺).

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bu View Post
    Blacky , thanks for the quick reply. I take it that the V7.5 scan can not be used. I guess I was looking for something like you guys had with good ol V4 (yes, I still use V4 for playing with my old LT1☺).
    Correct, the V7 scan tool cannot be updated to support user defined PIDs, only the V8 Scan Tool can and will be.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.