Thread: Error $053E when flashing new file

Default Error $053E when flashing new file

Hey guys, need some help. 2012 Ram 6.7 Auto. Autocal.

Been working with the same tuner for awhile, just got a new file for some fueling upgrades I did.

When I went to flash my new file in I get Error $053E which seems to be a VIN restriction. I went back and fourth with my tuner a couple times and he just keeps telling me to watch the installation video. This isn't my first time but apparently I'm doing something wrong and he cant help me.

No matter what I do I keep getting the same error. I've "unlocked" the ECM. I've reset the truck back to stock and tried starting from scratch. I've tried just about every combination with the same end result... Error $053E.

All of my old Quick Setup files work with no issues...it just seems to be the new file.

I compared both the new file and an old Quick Setup File on "Scan and Tune". The only difference I see is on the older file my VIN is the 11 characters then the last 6 are just periods (......). On the new file my complete VIN is listed.

Does anybody have any advice? Like I said before, my tuner doesnt seem to be of much help.

Here's two screen shots...one of the old file and one of the new...you can see the difference in the VIN's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFI 1.png 
Views:	463 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	21043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFI 2.png 
Views:	345 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	21044

Lifetime Member

$053E is a VIN security restriction applied to your tune file stating that the VIN in the tune file does not match the VIN in your ECM. The file that flashed contained the periods, which allows any value in those positions to be flashed. The file that contains the complete VIN does not match the VIN in your ECM and needs to be amended.

You need to check the last 6 digits of the VIN in your ECM to determine if they match the VIN in the tune file security. To check the VIN in your ECM....

1. Connect AutoCal to your vehicle and boot into the Advanced Menu (i.e. hold down [Next] button while powering up).
    2. Select [Scan Tool] -> [Select PIDs] and select the controller you wish to display.
    3. Navigate using the [Next] button to "Scan Tool"->"Display VIN"
    Where the display information exceeds 8 characters, a ">" character is displayed at the end of the data prompting the user to press [Next] to scroll the data horizontally. The "<" character indicates that the user can press the [Prev] key to scroll the data back again.

Compare the last 6 digits of the VIN located here to that of the tune file provided by the tuner.

Cheers
    Cindy