Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble getting factory E40 ECM file to open...

Default Having trouble getting factory E40 ECM file to open...

I have a "commercial" EFI Live V2 and I double checked that everything is current this morning. I've licensed or registered the V2, licensed the ecm to the V2, saved the stock file, but I can't figure out how to open the stock file to scale injector size or do anything else.

I open the EFI Live "Scan and Tune" V8, click the "Tune" tab (F3) to open the "Tune Tool", go to "Open" and select the stock file and then click "Edit" (F5), THEN it says: "The version 8 calibration editor is not available yet. Until the V8 calibration editor is made available, you must use the V7.5 Tune Tool software to edit calibrations." ....so I click "Edit With EFILive V7.5" and it says in an Error window: "Can't exceute command: .\EFILive_Tune.exe Reason: File .\EFILive_Tune.exe not found."

I have tried it with two laptops and have had the same results. I hope I am just missing something simple! Thank you ahead of time for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6995.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	21059  

Ok, try these things:

On the tune file, go rightclick->Open With and specify the V7 tunetool (you may have to browse to it under C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\).

Otherwise, go Start->All Programs->EFILive->V7.5->EFILive V7.5 Tune Tool and after it starts go File->Open and browse to the tune file and click Ok.

Failing that, check that the V7 tunetool exists in this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\

if it doesn't then you have to re-install the V7 software.

Awesome! Thank you! I can work on it now!

Lifetime Member

It looks like you didnt have V7.5 installed so V8 couldn't open the V7.5 tune tool or there is a permissions issue on your machine.

Are you able to actually view and edit the file now?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Erik brings up a good point... you have to be logged in as Administrator when you instal the EFILive software, and also when you run it.

I am able to view and edit the file now, I have done a little PE work and a little work on the timing table.

The machine I use only has one "user" and it is the owner/administrator, but I suppose there could be somewhere that I need to give it permission. I honestly don't know the first place to start on that.

I have logged, but when I play it back in "F6: Maps" it is just a red crosshair on a white graph with no map/table or values for where the crosshairs are. I have used standalones that let you essentially watch and tune the fuel map/table and spark map/table in real time and I understand that I'm not going to be doing that real time with what I have, but I figured I would be able to view that kind of stuff in a log.

There is a LOT of stuff that I don't know about (and don't know WHERE they should be set) hiding in the factory ECM/PCM/TCM, so hopefully it's just something that I don't know about yet.

I have to thank you all for posting, replying and generally adding knowledge to this forum! I have spent countless hours scrolling, searching, reading and lurking to learn and confuse myself and it is an incredible resource!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7029.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	21068

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7027.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	866.3 KB 
ID:	21069Click image for larger version. 

ID:	21069Click image for larger version. 

ID:	21069

Post your log file(s).

BTW: you can use your PC/laptop to grab a screenshot as follows:
    go SHIFT-PrtScr, then paste into some imaging program (e.g. Paint).

There are programs to streamline this (and give you the feature of annotating with arrows/text), for example see getgreenshot.org

Well I opened it earlier and there was nothing but a blank section with red crosshairs dancing around, but I watched it a few minutes ago and there were timing values, but then I clicked on the "show maximum" and "show minimum" arrows and I couldn't figure out how get get back to the ACTUAL values. Are the max and min arrows to show what are on the other maps like ECT, low octane, ect? Thanks again!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast