Thread: Truck Won't Start

Default Truck Won't Start

Just some background information, need to know if I bricked the ECM or if it will be recoverable...

Probably two weeks ago I left the ignition on in the truck and the batteries died. Went to jump start the truck a few days later and it wouldn't crank. Checked all of my fuses, had power with ignition in start to the crank fuse, swapped the relay etc and nothing. I jumped the relay pins with a wire and got the truck to crank but still would not start. I also had someone turn the key at the same time to make sure the ECM got the signal it needed, if it needs to see that power to start.

I have had connectivity issues between scan tools and the ECM in the past so I pulled the ECM out and put it on a bench harness. In the past I have had no issues detecting the controller and reading the VIN but it won't detect the controller and the VIN is corrupted when it pulls it out. I attempted to do a full flash using an older version of efi 7.5 and my V2 and it says the ECM is not licensed. While I know I should be using the latest software and firmware versions this setup is what I used to flash the ECM originally, many years ago.

I have a photo of what was read for the ECM serial number during the flash routine and it also appears to have been "corrupted". Any chance this is recoverable or am I looking at a new ECM?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0126.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	21126

Unfortunately LB7 ECM's have a bit of a habit of doing this sort of crazy stuff. The ECM isn't 'dead' but will need to be recovered by someone using specific tools.
    If you want to contact the business Wait4Me Performance in Indiana I know they can do them, others may chime in to offer other suggestions as to who could repair it too.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

It may be recoverable, they frequently can be. I will not know until it is on the bench. It is a straight forward diagnostic and flash procedure.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

With what the vin shows in that photo, that ecm will not be recovered on a bench. It will have to be repaired with a new board. SoCal Diesel repairs them.
    2013 LML, 550hp with factory emissions, stock cp4 and compound turbos.
    2002 LBZ, 4x4 (Max'd Out) 6000lbs 9.36 @ 154 mph NHRDA Champion and Record holder
    1965 El Camino, duramax 9.6 @ 149MPH

All EFI tuned by Adrenaline Truck Performance

I assume new board means new serial number and also new VIN/Tuning license. Looking at SoCal's website I assume its more of a swap than an actual rebuild anyway.

Thanks for the info.