Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The finger pointed right at Bosch

Read the story in the link, they don't need experts from Bosch, documents leaked out of Bosch on how it works, reverse engineers confirmed it.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Read the story in the link, they don't need experts from Bosch, documents leaked out of Bosch on how it works, reverse engineers confirmed it.
    Respectfully speaking, the fact Bosch's future roadmap includes a CPU architecture that allows for dynamic decryption of EEPROM contents allows them, at the very least, a greater level of security against future reverse engineering, and possible future IP leaks allows them to hit two birds with one stone: stopping aftermarket recalibration, and hamstringing future reverse engineering efforts to determine what they may do in their software. They've learned from this experience. ;-)

Sadly, the ability to do what we do will suffer.

Yes I agree with that, by 2020 I expect after market tuning will be a distant memory for many brands.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

One lesson is this: don't document any questionable features.

~ posted by phone ~

Lifetime Member

Yes I agree with that, by 2020 I expect after market tuning will be a distant memory for many brands.
    :( Not cool, means that aftermarket ECU/ECMs will become the only option. And ones that keep some factory creature comforts are already pricey...

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    One lesson is this: don't document any questionable features.

~ posted by phone ~
    Lol
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    :( Not cool, means that aftermarket ECU/ECMs will become the only option. And ones that keep some factory creature comforts are already pricey...l
    Yeah I know, I am only making that assumption based on the new CPU's that they'll start using that have been designed around preventing tampering and GM at least tend to have about a 5 or 6 year life cycle on ECM's before the next model starts to appear. That would mean for the E92, E80 etc they are just a few years off being replaced if their replacement time lines continue as they've always done.

Yeah I know, I am only making that assumption based on the new CPU's that they'll start using that have been designed around preventing tampering and GM at least tend to have about a 5 or 6 year life cycle on ECM's before the next model starts to appear. That would mean for the E92, E80 etc they are just a few years off being replaced if their replacement time lines continue as they've always done.
    If there's a glimmer of hope in this regard, it's that in the case of the T87A they basically took identical hardware and applied the digital signatures to a unit that otherwise had very minor hardware changes from T87. This suggests they COULD do this to any existing ECU (E80, E92, et al) but have stopped short of doing so, with the obvious exception of the E41 (which IS an entirely new design, but related to the E98).

Perhaps for the time being, they just wanted people out of the diesels (both engine and transmission - and gas A8/A9/A10s transmissions were collateral damage). Also, there's other NEW GM ECU designs that have come to market for 2017 that have not employed the digital signatures.

Hard to say, it's like reading tea leaves.

Lifetime Member

Especially when the E38/E67 were used for almost 10 years and the T43 is still being used (2005 was first IIRC), there's still hope as sn00py pointed out. But who knows, it's definitely up to GM's whims. I bet there some KPIs around warranty claims and associated costs behind their decision...
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sn00py View Post
    Perhaps for the time being, they just wanted people out of the diesels (both engine and transmission - and gas A8/A9/A10s transmissions were collateral damage).
    This is exactly what I was thinking myself, well put.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12