Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: AutoCal firmware update issue

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1

    Default AutoCal firmware update issue

    New to EFILive and AutoCal ... after installing EFI Live scan and tune 8 I was prompted in the "tip of the day" to check firmware. It said that there was both a boot block update and a firmware update.
    The boot block update worked fine but the firmware update is giving me issues. I hit update and it went through the motions then came back with an error $0101. Now the update is saying that it is suggesting
    and update to a new version number that is already loaded into the device. It appears to be stuck in "dead-poll" mode.....

    Screen shot is attached...

    HELP!!!!



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AUTOCAL ISSUE1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	252.7 KB 
ID:	21190
    Last edited by Notwop; June 14th, 2017 at 04:52 AM.

  2. #2
    EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9,119

    Default

    If a firmware update fails then the device stays in dead-poll mode until the firmware is programmed successfully.
    To recover from a failed firmware update just click the [Update Firmware] button again.

    When the device is in dead-poll due to a failed firmware update (i.e. the firmware is incomplete) the current firmware version number that is displayed is the version of the firmware that was most recently attempted to be programmed into the device - whether it succeeded or failed, the version number gets updated. That is to prevent you from rolling back to an earlier version which could have serious compatibility issues depending on how much of the new firmware made it into the device before failing.

    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

  3. #3
    EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9,119

    Default

    If it continues to fail it may be a USB 3.0 xHCI problem as described here:
    https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...rs-(USB3-xHCI)

    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Paul,

    This just happened to me on my V2 Flashscan, except it stays in dead poll mode and the most recent public release V8.2.5 316 says no device connected. All 4 USB ports have been working until just after the flashscan was erased during the firmware update. Can't try to update the firmware since V8 and EFI Live explorer can't see it. Any ideas, or does it have to be sent in for repair? More info is in Question Ref #5667-QPHN-5663

    Thanks, Garth

  5. #5
    EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9,119

    Default

    Do you hear the USB "beep" sound when you connect/disconnect FlashScan?

    Check that FlashScan's USB name is still intact: Use the program \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\Drivers\Utilities\usbview.exe
    You should see an entry named exactly "EFILive FlashScan V2" shown in the image below.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FSV2_usbview.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	21309

    If you do not see that entry, check the USB cable between FlashScan and the PC. Sometimes the PC's USB system can't/won't supply enough power to FlashScan. Try connecting FlashScan to a vehicle and your PC at the same time. That way the vehicle's 12V system will be powering FlashScan. It may be enough to get it working so that you can reprogram the firmware.

    If you do see that entry, and the values highlighted in red match what you see, then start the EFILive Control Panel, click on the small FlashScan icon in the system tray near the clock to expand the EFILive Control Panel window.
    Select the [F8: Trace] tab page and ensure that the "Enable Diagnostic Tracing" option is checked.
    Select the [F2: USB] tab page, click on [Status].
    Select the [F8: Trace] tab page again and click [Save Trace].
    Locate the saved trace file and either attach it to this thread or email it to me directly.

    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Do you hear the USB "beep" sound when you connect/disconnect FlashScan?

    Check that FlashScan's USB name is still intact: Use the program \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\Drivers\Utilities\usbview.exe
    You should see an entry named exactly "EFILive FlashScan V2" shown in the image below.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FSV2_usbview.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	21309

    If you do not see that entry, check the USB cable between FlashScan and the PC. Sometimes the PC's USB system can't/won't supply enough power to FlashScan. Try connecting FlashScan to a vehicle and your PC at the same time. That way the vehicle's 12V system will be powering FlashScan. It may be enough to get it working so that you can reprogram the firmware.

    If you do see that entry, and the values highlighted in red match what you see, then start the EFILive Control Panel, click on the small FlashScan icon in the system tray near the clock to expand the EFILive Control Panel window.
    Select the [F8: Trace] tab page and ensure that the "Enable Diagnostic Tracing" option is checked.
    Select the [F2: USB] tab page, click on [Status].
    Select the [F8: Trace] tab page again and click [Save Trace].
    Locate the saved trace file and either attach it to this thread or email it to me directly.

    Regards
    Paul
    So I was finally able to update the firmware by changing to an older USB cable that I thought had failed. Looked good, so I tried to connect it to the car with a brand new out of a sealed package EFI Live USB cable and it won't work on any of the ports. I started testing the USB cables with the V8 "usb tests" and only found 2 out of 5 cables would work. I couldn't connect to the car with V8 with the lastest Public release update and I was getting messages that I need to update the firmware, but the message screen also confirmed I DID have the new firmware installed UGG. I tried to data log using V7.5 latest version and it locked up after only a couple minutes. Had to disconnect everything and force the program closed. Any other suggestions?

  7. #7
    EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
    So I was finally able to update the firmware by changing to an older USB cable that I thought had failed. Looked good, so I tried to connect it to the car with a brand new out of a sealed package EFI Live USB cable and it won't work on any of the ports. I started testing the USB cables with the V8 "usb tests" and only found 2 out of 5 cables would work. I couldn't connect to the car with V8 with the lastest Public release update and I was getting messages that I need to update the firmware, but the message screen also confirmed I DID have the new firmware installed UGG. I tried to data log using V7.5 latest version and it locked up after only a couple minutes. Had to disconnect everything and force the program closed. Any other suggestions?
    Are you using Win 8 or Win 10 and do you have any USB 3.0 ports on your laptop? If so, you may need to disable xHCI as per this thread: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...rs-(USB3-xHCI)

    If only 2 out of 5 cables work then that indicates that the laptop is possibly not supplying enough current via the USB port. Some USB cables have a larger gauge power wire than others. The larger gauge wires are better able to handle laptops that don't supply enough current via the USB port.

    Have you tried using FlashScan on a different PC/laptop? Doe sit work any better on a different PC? If it still fails regularly on a different PC then there may be some issue with the USB power circuit in the FlashScan device. If your FlashScan is less than 12 months old that would most likely be covered under warranty.

    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Are you using Win 8 or Win 10 and do you have any USB 3.0 ports on your laptop? If so, you may need to disable xHCI as per this thread: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...rs-(USB3-xHCI)

    If only 2 out of 5 cables work then that indicates that the laptop is possibly not supplying enough current via the USB port. Some USB cables have a larger gauge power wire than others. The larger gauge wires are better able to handle laptops that don't supply enough current via the USB port.

    Have you tried using FlashScan on a different PC/laptop? Doe sit work any better on a different PC? If it still fails regularly on a different PC then there may be some issue with the USB power circuit in the FlashScan device. If your FlashScan is less than 12 months old that would most likely be covered under warranty.

    Regards
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Do you hear the USB "beep" sound when you connect/disconnect FlashScan?

    Check that FlashScan's USB name is still intact: Use the program \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\Drivers\Utilities\usbview.exe
    You should see an entry named exactly "EFILive FlashScan V2" shown in the image below.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FSV2_usbview.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	21309

    If you do not see that entry, check the USB cable between FlashScan and the PC. Sometimes the PC's USB system can't/won't supply enough power to FlashScan. Try connecting FlashScan to a vehicle and your PC at the same time. That way the vehicle's 12V system will be powering FlashScan. It may be enough to get it working so that you can reprogram the firmware.

    If you do see that entry, and the values highlighted in red match what you see, then start the EFILive Control Panel, click on the small FlashScan icon in the system tray near the clock to expand the EFILive Control Panel window.
    Select the [F8: Trace] tab page and ensure that the "Enable Diagnostic Tracing" option is checked.
    Select the [F2: USB] tab page, click on [Status].
    Select the [F8: Trace] tab page again and click [Save Trace].
    Locate the saved trace file and either attach it to this thread or email it to me directly.

    Regards
    Paul
    Yes on beep sound on all 4 USB ports and even the EFI Live cables that only power up the Flashscan V2 (including the new one). On every instance, it shows EFI Live Flashscan V2 on the appropriate port. The odd part is that they all (4) powered up the V2 screen now that I was able to update the firmware..... but yet the two EFI usb cables show "no data received" when doing the usb test under F3 usb settings, plus show "no device connected" when checking the firmware version in the V8 software. The V2 and usb cables had worked fine prior to the program updates for the last 3 years. I was able to start a datalog in V7.5, then it froze and every possible way to close the program failed.... so had to reboot the computer(was repeatable).

    I've still have to try the USB 3.0 ideas, but it all worked fine before todays updates..... so doesn't make sense that they suddenly don't like the ports. The old cable that is able to talk with the V2 is from a Brother Printer/Fax that is long gone. Nothing seems to make sense. Flashscan was purchased in Sept 2011 and used on just the 2010 Camaro & briefly on a spare ECU. I did notice the vehicle port cable being loose and has been forever, but the EFI Live brand cable for this was brand new today and fits the same as the one replaced 7/2015..... vehicle port looks perfect too (yet I can pull ever so slightly and the vehicle will disconnect). The last V7.5 lockup was done purposely pushing in on that connector too. So looks like 2 separate issues, 1st one being the USB connection going bad after the updates, 2nd is just related to datalogging and movement that I've been dealing with for quite a while.

    One other odd thing was 2 or 3 times with V8 is said I needed to update the firmware, yet on the same screen it show the boot block and firmware were up to date.

    I'll try the USB 3.0 ideas, any other ideas?

    Thanks for all the help so far....

  9. #9
    EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    9,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
    Yes on beep sound on all 4 USB ports and even the EFI Live cables that only power up the Flashscan V2 (including the new one). On every instance, it shows EFI Live Flashscan V2 on the appropriate port. The odd part is that they all (4) powered up the V2 screen now that I was able to update the firmware..... but yet the two EFI usb cables show "no data received" when doing the usb test under F3 usb settings, plus show "no device connected" when checking the firmware version in the V8 software. The V2 and usb cables had worked fine prior to the program updates for the last 3 years. I was able to start a datalog in V7.5, then it froze and every possible way to close the program failed.... so had to reboot the computer(was repeatable).

    I've still have to try the USB 3.0 ideas, but it all worked fine before todays updates..... so doesn't make sense that they suddenly don't like the ports. The old cable that is able to talk with the V2 is from a Brother Printer/Fax that is long gone. Nothing seems to make sense. Flashscan was purchased in Sept 2011 and used on just the 2010 Camaro & briefly on a spare ECU. I did notice the vehicle port cable being loose and has been forever, but the EFI Live brand cable for this was brand new today and fits the same as the one replaced 7/2015..... vehicle port looks perfect too (yet I can pull ever so slightly and the vehicle will disconnect). The last V7.5 lockup was done purposely pushing in on that connector too. So looks like 2 separate issues, 1st one being the USB connection going bad after the updates, 2nd is just related to datalogging and movement that I've been dealing with for quite a while.

    One other odd thing was 2 or 3 times with V8 is said I needed to update the firmware, yet on the same screen it show the boot block and firmware were up to date.

    I'll try the USB 3.0 ideas, any other ideas?

    Thanks for all the help so far....
    What do you see for your USB driver version installed on the PC/laptop?
    This is the latest version USB driver available and is a little more stable than previous versions.

    Regards
    Paul

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb_version.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	21310
    Before asking for help, please read this.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (638).png 
Views:	49 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	21311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (639).png 
Views:	43 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	21312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (640).png 
Views:	47 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	21313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (641).png 
Views:	48 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	21314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (642).png 
Views:	45 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	21315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (643).png 
Views:	46 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	21316
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    What do you see for your USB driver version installed on the PC/laptop?
    This is the latest version USB driver available and is a little more stable than previous versions.

    Regards
    Paul

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb_version.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	21310
    All the USB controller drivers are up to date when checked and HCI isn't listed in the BIOS on the "Start" / F2 push to enter it. I disabled the USB Root Hub (xHCI) and when plugging the V2 into the laptop, all I get is no "dong" when plugged in, some flashing lights, then blue screen with no splash screen. Some of the drivers are 2006, but the laptop was new 9/24/2014 and working with EFI live already.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 16th, 2012, 08:54 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 19th, 2011, 08:38 AM
  3. V2 firmware update issue's
    By marcusrushing90 in forum FlashScan V2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 18th, 2011, 09:23 AM
  4. V2 firmware update issue's
    By marcusrushing90 in forum Diesel
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 17th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •