Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AutoCal firmware update issue

Here's and example of the V7.5 newest version locking up at frame 4420..... can't shut it down without a complete reboot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (646).png 
Views:	246 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	21319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (647).png 
Views:	260 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	21320

I'll try V8 next.... last 2 pics don't matter (no real info - just couldn't edit them out) Engine was off, as I was just seeing how long till the datalog bombed out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (644).png 
Views:	166 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	21317   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (645).png 
Views:	185 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	21318  
    Last edited by Blue70SS; July 24th, 2017 at 05:10 PM.

Lastest V8 datalogging test didn't bomb out like the V7.5, but limited to the old Brothers printer/Fax USB cable. Another idea would be deleting both newer versions and reinstalling the older version and see if the USB problem still exists?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
    Lastest V8 datalogging test didn't bomb out like the V7.5, but limited to the old Brothers printer/Fax USB cable. Another idea would be deleting both newer versions and reinstalling the older version and see if the USB problem still exists?
    When an application locks up like that, 99% of the time it is because a driver is stuck in a loop or some other abnormal condition. If/when it happens again, try unplugging the FlashScan device. That usually causes the USB driver to release control back to the application.

I recommend installing the latest FlashScan USB drivers that are available with the beta software here:
    https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...Beta-Release-5
    When you install that version of the software it will automatically install the latest USB drivers.

The fact that one USB cable works and another does not, indicates that the PC/laptop you are using is not providing enough current via the USB sockets to run FlashScan. Send me your shipping address (send it to paul@efilive.com) and I'll send you a higher gauge USB cable for you to test.

Lastly, have you tried FlashScan on a different PC/laptop? If it still locks up on a different PC, then there may be something wrong with FlashScan itself.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I have V7.5.7.245 on my wifes computer...... is there a way to install the firmware that correlates with that version? That would confirm if the V2 is a problem.

So after more testing on a separate laptop, I was able to get the smaller gauge USB cables to work and data logging in version 7.5 does not hang. It does however have USB 2.0 ports.

If I make the jump to using V8, the origional laptop combined with the larger usb cable works.

I just have to figure out making custom PIDs in V8. (if its possible using the Analog inputs yet).

On a side note, I saw where you should not use a car inverter to power the laptop while connected to the OBD2 port (knew about it already). Is there any problem with powering the laptop with its normal power supply plugged into an AC wall Outlet while on a dyno?

Also, prior to the 2nd laptop test...... both were revised to the latest Beta software that has the more stable USB driver for the V2.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

On a side note, I saw where you should not use a car inverter to power the laptop while connected to the OBD2 port (knew about it already). Is there any problem with powering the laptop with its normal power supply plugged into an AC wall Outlet while on a dyno?
    That should be OK so long as the the vehicle and the AC outlet are grounded to the same point. If for example the vehicle was not grounded to the same point as the AC wall outlet then the chassis can become "energized" at a voltage level that is different to the AC wall outlet. In that case, an attempt to connect your laptop to the vehicle via FlashScan will result in those ground voltage levels attempting to equalize. The only way to equalize the ground voltages is for current to flow through the laptop and through FlashScan which could damage both of them.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I just have to figure out making custom PIDs in V8. (if its possible using the Analog inputs yet).

In V8 goto Scan (on the left), click on Config (at the bottom), click on Calculated Pids...

you have to create a Group (upper part), and for that Group you create calc pids (lower part).

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    That should be OK so long as the the vehicle and the AC outlet are grounded to the same point. If for example the vehicle was not grounded to the same point as the AC wall outlet then the chassis can become "energized" at a voltage level that is different to the AC wall outlet. In that case, an attempt to connect your laptop to the vehicle via FlashScan will result in those ground voltage levels attempting to equalize. The only way to equalize the ground voltages is for current to flow through the laptop and through FlashScan which could damage both of them.

Regards
    Paul
    I suspected that might be the case in hind sight. After a long day of tuning and an extention cord..... might explain the usb problems. I knew about the inverter problem.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    In V8 goto Scan (on the left), click on Config (at the bottom), click on Calculated Pids...

you have to create a Group (upper part), and for that Group you create calc pids (lower part).
    Thanks, after digging a bit I finally figured out the "o" in front of the AD1, AD2, AD3, AD4 wasn't denoting a place holder, but they're usable in equations. With the E38 ECU is going past 28 channels to say 30 slow logging down too much if in V8? Sounds like 29 has the same effect as up to 35 even if only using Ver 8

I think 35 channels is still fast.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast