Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i use older 7.5.5 software on win7 or win8 drivers ???

Default can i use older 7.5.5 software on win7 or win8 drivers ???

Hi Eric here. I am still using my old v7.5.5 software on my old xp laptop and all is good sense 2009, i have never even used the 8.1 EE software , i have a v2 and have never updated the 2.06.05 firmware and the 2.06.02 bootblock because i only use this for a 2002 ss and my sc 6.0l silverado 2000 and have set up a few tunes and a couple swaps for other people that all had 411 pcms and all has worked so flawlessly , full flash tunes with my bench harness and all. I originally installed the software from the included cd with my v2 and i still have the cd. I am worried about my old laptop letting go eventually so i would like to install the 7.5.5 software on a win7 or win8 laptop so it can be ready to go but i am wondering if the drivers that came with the original software will be compatible with win7 or 8 . I dont want to go with the new software right now or will i have to or if i wait to long i will never be able to update my old v2 firmware and bootblock through v8.2. I know there might be an issue with the usb3 in win8 but i believe Joe has a fix for that through the bios. Thank you.

Lifetime Member

I will say this, if you have ANY issues at all, the first thing EFILive Support will ask you to do is upgrade your software and firmware. For the USB3.0 issue, there's a pretty easy workaround especially if you have a dedicated tuning laptop, just revert the USB controller to USB2.0.

There are a bunch of new features plus V8 flash times are quicker than V7.5. I would guess that software version would work with Win7, but probably not with Win8 or Win10. You would be better off IMO using your existing Win XP machine, upgrading to the latest software (V7.5 and V8) and upgrading your V2 firmware THEN upgrading/getting a new laptop. I get the "if it aint broke dont fix it" mindset, but an 8 year old PC is getting up there and you dont want to be in a situation where you have to scramble.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thank you for getting back it is apreciated. I understand about efilive support and makes sense. I do want to get all this updated, software and V2s firmware and bootblock but right now i am just going to try and run my old software in my win8 laptop as i still use my win7 for work. Dedicated or not i dont use usb3, well not that i know of, only use usb keys and an earthnet to usb adapter that is backward compatible with usb2. I have to do some work on my truck and then i will do it in a few weeks. I imagine if the old v7.5.5 install does not work, meaning not able to connect with the V2 it will be because of the drivers are not compatable with win8, if that is the case i imagine i can use the newer drivers from the site download or are they not compatible with the old software. How hard is it to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. If this works on my win8 laptop will i still be able to use my older xp one or because of having different driver versions even with the same software there will be a conflict when connecting to the V2 using my old xp and win 8. You must be saying right now, why does this guy want to bust his head, i am a bit hesitant to upgrade my firmware and bootblock but i realize it will happen sooner than later, i am just buying a bit of time, bare with me i am not crazy. When i do upgrade the procedure is to install newer 7.5 an 8.2 then upgrading firmware and bootblock. I will be able to upgrade from my older versions firmware 2.06.05 and bootblock 2.06.02 to the newer versions within the newer EE 8.2 in one step. I thankyou for your patience, lot of questions here. Eric.

Oh wanted to ask . Your name is spelled Erik with a k . Just wondering if you are french speaking because some people here in Quebec spell Eric with a K.

Lifetime Member

I doubt that software version will work with Win8 is why I suggested upgrading. I know certain versions of the software check for USB driver version, so you could get in a situation where V7.5 just wont "see" your V2. If that happens, time to upgrade everything.

I do not speak French, I know a bit of German (and English of course). My family has Dutch ancestry, but my parents just liked it better with a "k" than other spellings!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

No guaranty, but you may be able to run it in compatibility mode in Win 7.

I have to do this with some other software to get it to function correctly.

I will give it a shot on win8 and if the old softwares drivers are not compatible with win8 i could always use my win7 , i would have prefered to use my win8 as it could have been dedicated for only this but on the other hand win7 is way more stable less all the gadgets. Win10 pro is what i will get next and keep my 7 for efilive but not now as budget does not permit. I believe the older versoin i have on the cd will work with win 7 because my software date is 2008 and the drivers release date on the site are 2007 and efilive specifies that they can work on win7 if needed. I believe you will be right Erik about my old drivers not being compatible with win8 and if i download newer drivers and use them with my old software on my win8 and i am able to connect with my v2 i dont think i will be then able to connect with my old win xp as i am not sure if you can use two different laptops with different driver versions to connect with the v2 using two different laptops or am i wrong on that. Thank you. Eric

It should run ok in Win7 and Win8 and Win10/X.

To get the speedo calculator to create/write its data file, you have to run the V7 tunetool as Administrator (on its icon, go rigthclick->Compatibility and checkmark Run as Administrator).

If the newer driver does not work, from your desktop go Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive V8 USB Manager and uninstall the current driver, and install the older one.

Also, newer PC's support USB3/xHCI, you may have to disable xHCI (goto BIOS/CMOS setup); more info: Please-Read-Windows-8-Users-(USB3-xHCI)

So i will be able to install my older software from my cd on my win7 or win8 and the included drivers willl work. I will do this for now but i do realize i have to upgrade all this . I just dont want any hickups right now as i do want to finish some stuff on my truck. I could still use my old xp as everything works great but even with a new battery i get about 60 to 90 min and the screen is not great at all in strong daylight. Just wondering can the V2 be used on two different laptops like my old Xp and my newer win8, would there be conflicts going from one to the other, doesnt make sense to want to do this but i was just curious. I am going to check out your usb3-xhci info. Thanks . Eric

Yes, FSV2 can be used with multiple PCs/laptops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast