Thread: convince me, I've been under a rock

Default convince me, I've been under a rock

I'm currently still using efilive v5 and ls1edit for computer mgmt. I was out of the loop for awhile and when I returned, my $1k worth of software was obsolete. Trying to catch up with SD and none of it has any correlation to ls1 edit. So after spending the majority of today creating an excel sheet to do my calcs, my laptop craps out! There goes the wideband that was stopping me from upgrading already. So it's a new laptop or flashscan. Oh laptop AND $50 so I can receive a copy of some software that I already purchased because I lost the original media in a house fire. But I'm not going there, I'll spend $100 to extract the data from the HD before they see another cent.

As a 98 owner is there anything that I'm hearing about the new flashscan that doesn't work for me?

Compared to LS1 Edit, will there be anything I can't do with Flashscan that I could before?

I saw something about unlimited scan/flash for 98's...does this affect licensing for other vehicles. My boss just got a new Duramax and I noticed support for it, nice, a chance to make up a bit of my expenses.
    98 NBM Z28 M6, all the bolt ons and a TR230/224

new user here also, ( I think we shared the same rock!)
    I was using V5 to tune my Vette.

from what I understand, the only thing you can't do with a '98 is use a custom os. other than that everything else is good!

Donaldson Blackwing, Jacobs 8.5mm Energy core Wires, NGK TR55 Plugs,
    GMS MAF, MAF translator, Z06 Calipers, Braided Steel Brake Lines,
    Corsa Indys w/pro tips, Aluminum Gauge Bezels, Modified Stock Shifter,
    Vette-HID headlights, HUD Upgrade, Tigershark front fascia.

Quote Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
    new user here also, ( I think we shared the same rock!)
    I was using V5 to tune my Vette.

from what I understand, the only thing you can't do with a '98 is use a custom os. other than that everything else is good!
    lol, thanx for the reply and what a great ride. I'm dissapointed in hearing that I can't use a custom OS. So are you currently using the Flashscan then? If so have you used edit and how was the transition?
    98 NBM Z28 M6, all the bolt ons and a TR230/224

The only thing you can't do with EFILive that you can do with LS1 Edit is get frustrated and pissed-off on a regular basis. Your question is like asking, "If I buy a C5, is there anything I can't do with it that I can with my Hyundai?" Back in the "old days" I used to do the same thing you're doing-- tune with Edit and scan with V5. There's no comparison between that method and using FashScan.

As for the custom OS, frankly, I don't know if you'll be missing all that much unless you plan on running nitrous or a turbo or supercharger. You can run SD without a custom OS, but you lose the dual timing tables. I always set high and low octane tables the same for my own vehicles so having both tables offers no advantage. (If you're tuning someone else's vehicle, that's a different matter entirely.) At one time, EFILive was offering a trade-in deal on Edit-- I don't know if it's still in effect, but either way, whenever you start using FlashScan, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

I would have thought you would have an upgrade option with v5 anyway?
    Get EFILive in europe (http://www.efilive.eu).
    2007 Escalade ESV L92 6.2L VVT.
    2014 VF SV LS3 Maloo.