Thread: Does reading/writing a tune leave a trace

Default Does reading/writing a tune leave a trace

Hi All,

I just bought a new truck and I want to read the tune and change throttle sensitivity but don't want to void warrantee, I can't remember when i took my other truck to the dealer for something if they even noticed it was tuned, tho I never had any updates to the PCM/ECM.

Thanks

Need more details. What is the Make/Model/Year/Engine of the Truck in question?
    2006 Ram 2500 4x4, 5.9 CTD, Laramie, QC
    Fully Built 48RE, Billet Flex Plate, Triple Disc TC, 62/65 HE351cw
    2017 Corvette 3LZ Z06 M7 with Z07 Package

2017 Silverado 1500 5.3,

Not really sure why it would matter about the above information to be added as it is a new truck and I'm concerned about voiding warrantee but here ya go

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by warlock007 View Post
    2017 Silverado 1500 5.3,

Not really sure why it would matter about the above information to be added as it is a new truck and I'm concerned about voiding warrantee but here ya go
    GM has implemented different monitoring/logging strategies on different controllers so it makes a huge difference. Also how they implement Gas vs diesel are different, same with TCM vs ECM.

Can't say if there is a flash counter or not on your truck, I'm sure there is someone who can tell you for sure.
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; July 25th, 2017 at 08:45 AM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Kinda thought so but hopefully someone can answer. Thanks for the feed back.

GM has implemented different monitoring/logging strategies on different controllers so it makes a huge difference. Also how they implement Gas vs diesel are different, same with TCM vs ECM.

Can't say if there is a flash counter or not on your truck, I'm sure there is someone who can tell you for sure.

On the newer diesel's the ECM tracks the 10 previous flashes (calibration id, CVN, date, other info), treats flashing-back-to-original as a separate flashing event.

I don't know yet if they have implemented this in the newer gasoline ECM's yet...

the only way to tell is to borrow a high-end scantool (with latest updates), there's a page that shows what/when was flashed... if this page shows up with valid data (i.e. the stock calibration/CVN) then this ECM is tracking flashes, otherwise maybe it's not.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    On the newer diesel's the ECM tracks the 10 previous flashes (calibration id, CVN, date, other info), treats flashing-back-to-original as a separate flashing event.
    Just to clarify this...10 UNQIUE flashes based on CVN value. You can't flash a stock tune 10 times to 'clear' the history. You'd need to flash 10 UNQIUE tunes with 10 UNIQUE CVN Values.

Cheers
    Cindy

I don't have access to the higher end scanners anymore so hopefully someone can check on this and let me know.

Could of sworn the V2 shows the calibration history.

For what it's worth, GM doesn't push checking it as often as they did. People started getting wise and fighting it since a simple number doesn't really signify the tune was the problem. They could of course read the tune and send it to GM to check, but they don't have the man power to do that.

You can spoof the CVN to match the stock CVN. Actually it's pretty simple to do. The problem is you can no longer differentiate stock from tune. If you got caught that could push liability onto you, so yeah, don't do it.

Actually, on FSV2 you can read the calibration history (if the ECM supports it)... in handheld mode, go down the diagnostics menu.