Thread: PCM secured With a Custom Key (LOCKED)

Default PCM secured With a Custom Key (LOCKED)

Hey All!

My new to me 2004 Suburban is ready for some simple upgrades (e-fans, etc.) and I tried to connect but received this message:

PCM secured With a Custom Key (LOCKED)

I tried the authorization tool in V8, no luck.

Any ideas where I go from here?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcm lOCKED.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	21348
    Where have all the Quadrajets gone?

your ecu is locked. so you can either get another one and start with a standard tune for your car. or get your ecu unlocked.

cost is probably the same?

I'd like to get it unlocked, the reason for my post... and here to find out how.

Thanks for the reply.

you need to get the ecu out of the car & run it on a bench with a program that just keeps trying until it finds the unlock code in hex. which can take up to a week .

so unless you want to keep the original tune. you can either pay some1 else to unlock it/find original tuner who locked it or just get another ecu and start from a factory tune flash.

Default Overwrite

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    you need to get the ecu out of the car & run it on a bench with a program that just keeps trying until it finds the unlock code in hex. which can take up to a week .

so unless you want to keep the original tune. you can either pay some1 else to unlock it/find original tuner who locked it or just get another ecu and start from a factory tune flash.

Thanks Tre... I did (a lot) more reading, and tried what I read... V8 is actually letting me overwrite the existing calibrations with CAL... Just won't let me read what is in there. Go figure.

I made some changes and confirmed them with a test drive, TCC at 40 mph instead of 50, and it in fact, works.

Calibrated the speedo for my tall 265/75/16 tires, had my local small town cop shoot radar, and it is spot on (+1 mph on the needle as factory).

Do you recall if there was a direct fuel octane setting, where as, I can program to be using 91 ethanol free, or 93 Sunoco, instead of 89?

Yes, we have that fuel up here now. :-)

Interesting that it lets you over write. when an ls1 ecu is locked it should prevent both reading & writing.

There is a high/low octane table for spark which really only adjusts based on knock feedback. There is no direct way to control the spark level unless... you convert to a custom efilive OS, then i guess you could specify the spark bias towards the low spark map if so desired. However you'd need to a flash based on your fuel.

You could easily load a couple of tunes into the v2 and load them in when required. so you wouldnt need to carry a laptop around with you.

Interesting that it lets you over write. when an ls1 ecu is locked it should prevent both reading & writing.

There is a high/low octane table for spark which really only adjusts based on knock feedback. There is no direct way to control the spark level unless... you convert to a custom efilive OS, then i guess you could specify the spark bias towards the low spark map if so desired. However you'd need to a flash based on your fuel.

You could easily load a couple of tunes into the v2 and load them in when required. so you wouldnt need to carry a laptop around with you.
    Yes, I read a whole bunch of stuff on "recovery stradegies" and if I had to do it again for all of the scotch on earth, I'd be sober...

Not that big on riding around with multiple tunes yet, just want to get this one built. Can you point me to some info on tuning for 93 octane fuel? I put a new post up in GenIII but have not gotten a response. Thanks in advance!

Lifetime Member

That depends on the strategy used; in 2013 we introduced AutoLock.

Auto-Lock is the new way to lock and unlock controllers. The two main benefits of AutoLocking are:
    1. Tuners can configure their tuning files to remotely lock or unlock the target controller when the file is flashed into a controller.
    2. Controllers that have been Auto-Locked cannot be read but they can still be reflashed.

Traditionally when an ECM is locked it cannot be reflashed by any tuning tool until it has been unlocked. Only the original tuner was able to unlock the controller to allow it to be reflashed. While that type of locking protects a tuner’s IP it also creates problems for customers when their vehicle needs to be reflashed elsewhere. If the customer is no longer able to visit the tuner’s shop or the original tuner is no longer in business or the tuner simply refuses to unlock the controller then sometimes the only option is to replace the controller.

Auto-Locking uses a modified locking strategy. When an ECM is Auto-Locked all nonEFILive reflashing tools (such as GM's TechII) will be prevented from reading and flashing the controller. However EFILive’s Tuning Tool will always be able to reflash the ECM. Depending on the Auto-Lock status of the file being flashed, the ECM will either remain locked or be unlocked at the completion of the flash.

The Auto-Lock system generates and manages its own keys to ensure that any EFILive user can reflash an Auto-Locked controller. Because the keys are managed internally and are never exposed to the user, the controller cannot be unlocked manually by supplying the key.

The following controllers use EFILive’s BootLocker to implement Auto-Locking:
    LS1B, E38, E40, E67
    E54 (LB7), E60 (LLY)

Auto-Locking for controller using the BootLocker implementation may be applied to tune files in 3 ways;
    1. V8 Scan and Tune using the [F3: Tune] -> [F4: Properties] via the [Security Restrictions] tab.
    2. V8 Scan and Tune via the [F5: BBX] -> [F6: Quick Setup] feature.
    3. V7 Tune Tool via the [Permissions] tab.

The following controllers use the EFILocker Patch to implement Auto-Locking:
    E39/E39A*, E78*, E80, E92, T43*
    A50, E98*, T87*
    *Selected OS's only.
    *Where the controller requires remains in use in 2017+ model years, locking is not available.

The Locking FAQ https://support.efilive.com/kb_artic...3989-QOXM-1721 and the EFILive COS Patch.pdf included in your V8 software install provide additional information on locking.

Cheers
    Cindy

I assumed the auto locking didn't go as far as the older ls1 platform. Nice.

Definitely better for the end user if a "locked" tune can be over written by a simple flash with a stock file, as like your examples it doesn't lock the owners out if the original tuner is no longer available.