Thread: 05 Vett E-40 ECU P0601 ROM Error - New ECU Swap Question

Default 05 Vett E-40 ECU P0601 ROM Error - New ECU Swap Question

Hello,

My '05 Vette went dead with a P0601 ECM ROM error fault. It has done this a few years ago and the dealer just re-flashed the ECU. Unfortunately, the problem came back and left us stranded. So this time I decided to replace the ECU. I am having a few difficulties with this swap, so I was hoping to get some guidance.

First off the old ECU is not totally dead, so I was able to upload the operating system and calibration with EFIlive. I purchased an E40 ECU bench harness which seems to work well. I also purchased a new ECU from GMpartsdirect and loaded that saved operating system and calibration into the new controller.

My first question deals with the VIN.
    It appears the VIN number does not load into the ECU when transferring the files. Is there a way to make the new ECU take the VIN from my old controller. Is this something only a dealer can do?

The engine will start and idle, but It has two codes.

1) I have a P2138 Throttle pedal channels not within range (or something like that). The engine starts and idles, but as soon as I depress the gas pedal, it trips on the fault. I have logged both channel D and channel E with the scan tool. On both the new an old ECU, Channel D is exactly half of Channel E (or vise-versa I can't recall). This actually concurs to what the schematic in the service manual suggest. It shows channel D to be equipped with double the resistance of channel E. It seems to be something in the calibration. It's almost like the new ECU wants the channels to be equal, but the old ECU understands they should be in a (2x) relationship. I have looked but I did not see a throttle pedal learn feature in the DVT tab of the software.

2) I also have the P0315 Crank angle not learned fault, but of course I can't rev the engine to 4,000 RPM until I can get it to listen to the throttle pedal.

This is not an emergency, the Vette is not my daily driver, but any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Update:

I did find a post which explained how to set the VIN number using the scan portion of the software, under the bidirectional menu. Unfortunately, I still have an issue with the throttle pedal.

I'm still getting the P2138 as soon as the gas pedal is moved. As I mentioned above channel E is exactly two times channel D. When the old ECU is plugged up, they are the same way, but no fault.

Still hoping for some guidance thanks.

You might have to get your new ECM programmed specifically for your VIN using TIS... I don't have any further detail.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for the newb question.... What is the TIS.

Is there more information in the ECM than what gets loaded with the "load operating system and calibration" action.

Lifetime Member

Yes, there are other parts of the Gen IV+ ECMs that EFILive cannot/does not flash (including the secondary DBW CPU). You have to use GM SPS/TIS to flash a blank ECM the first time then you can read the tune and make any/all changes with EFILive. I imagine is why you're having the DTC as soon as you press the pedal. Once you get it flashed with SPS, the CKP DTC can be taken care of via the CASE release process.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.