Thread: 2016 LML dirty tune ?

Default 2016 LML dirty tune ?

I have been tuning on my truck and have been fairly successful so far. But, it is going into regen every tank of fuel which is 400 miles. The mileage has gone from 12.8 to 12.5 hand calculated. On the cluster it says it has improved 2mpg. LOL. So I must have a dirty tune but I can't tell with a DPF. What tools or aids are you guys using to help gauge a clean tune when you can't see the exhaust ?

Quote Originally Posted by staytuned View Post
    I have been tuning on my truck and have been fairly successful so far. But, it is going into regen every tank of fuel which is 400 miles. The mileage has gone from 12.8 to 12.5 hand calculated. On the cluster it says it has improved 2mpg. LOL. So I must have a dirty tune but I can't tell with a DPF. What tools or aids are you guys using to help gauge a clean tune when you can't see the exhaust ?
    Nox/lambda

Lifetime Member

NOX sensors also read O2 percentage watch the #1 it's on the turbo try to keep it above 0-1% wot, less than 0% its pretty smoky, 1-4% is better but you drive the turbo pretty hard getting there in most places and still never get there. Cruise area would benefit to the higher end 6+% as long as your not wasting energy driving the turbo. Also egr flow makes a huge difference on steady state cruising for soot build up but it uses a lot more urea to keep the NOX down when you pull it back.

Edit: Screwed this up this morning mixed up afr and %, went back through and fixed it
    Last edited by rcr1978; August 21st, 2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Dumbshit moment
    04 LB7
    2010 LMM
    2015 LML

Lifetime Member

These may help I always have to go back and forth i'm good with AFR and Lambda but percent really screws me up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AFR_LAMBDA.PNG 
Views:	335 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	21396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LambdaPercent.gif 
Views:	300 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	21395  
    04 LB7
    2010 LMM
    2015 LML

Great info guys ! I readjusted a few things and I think it was coming on a little quick at the bottom before spooling up. The dead pedal was so gone. I softened it up a bit and it is smooth from bottom now, a lot more linear. The lowest my full throttle #1 NOX sensor went during a full throttle pull was just above 2. Cruising was usually over 7. Since I am not on the freeway a bunch and only work 15 miles from home, country roads is possibly why it regens so often. And I dont drive it real easy LOL.

Does the timing have a huge effect on Re-gen ? These seem to run prety concervative timing numbers and down low I have it at o to 4 in the middle around 5 and full throttle on top around 6 to 12 max More at higher elevations.

Lifetime Member

The factory uses lower timing to help with NOX percentage, throw some timing at it at and pinch back the egr and see what happens to the NOX I feel the egr is the worst for regen distences. I had a LGH and it regened every 200-250 miles from the factory, no changes but egr flow and it made it over 600miles without a regen, urea usage was a lot though since NOX were way up. The SCR absorbs NOX gasses it does not plug or become restrictive like the DPF with soot it simply no longer absorbs NOX.
    04 LB7
    2010 LMM
    2015 LML

So I cut the EGR tables in half and used the timing calculator to change timing which put all numbers in posative and since calculator doesn't go below 1400 or 20mm3 I put those at 1 and blended up to 3. It did not like this, wouldn't even move and rattled a bit. Assuming it was timing put those back and same issue. So I am thinking that the higher numbers in EGR is actually less flow.Doesn't make sense but will try increasing those numbers to see if it cuts EGR flow.

???'s when changing timing do you make all tables the same ? no pilot, with pilot, with pilot 1 & 2 Also wanted to add a couple degrees to altitude tables for power increase with altitude like the factory. Any suggestions always helps ! Thanks !
    Last edited by staytuned; August 23rd, 2017 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Forgot some stuff

Lifetime Member

That's correct on the egr 0% = wide open maxed is full closed. There is a pid to log to see what timing tables to use, I dont remember since i didnt spend much time with emission tuning. Try the mode 0 but it will use different ones to with regen, nox regen, ect
    04 LB7
    2010 LMM
    2015 LML

well got the EGR figured out and think I have the timing tables kind of figured out. Turned up the US Or MS on injection at 80mm3 and up by 10% over what I had and man it hauled ass ! Instantly filled the DPF up after about 3 good pulls, all most time for it to come on again but It even smoked like a real truck (LOL), but much whiter/grey, not black. Going to turn it back down but tuning with a DPF really sucks !