Thread: Upgrading to 02 OS

Default Upgrading to 02 OS

Hello,

I am very new to this and I could not find what I am after. I was hoping someone could explain to me what I need to do.

My computer came from a 2000 Yukon XL 6.0/4L80E. I rebuilt the engine to a 408 and I bought a stage 3 Jake's Performance Trans with a 3600 stall converter. I do not want to mess this transmission up. Jake's made it sound rather easy to destroy the transmission if I do not tune right. I messed with a few things to get the car to idle. I was reading the Auto VE tuning Tutorial and I came across the advice to upgrade to the 02 OS. I also ran a factory electric fan setup with 3 relays. I want to eventually install A/C with a Vintage A/C kit. I heard the 02 F-body OS is the way I needed to go for that. But I want to ensure I don't loose the 4L80E stuff.

Can I flash 02 F-body OS and not have to segment the 4L80E info?
    How do I flash the new software? I do not want to fry my computer or mess something up. Is there a step by step?

I would be interested in purchasing books like what the Tune School has done for the HP Tuner guys. I have been an Air Force Vehicle Mechanic for 13yrs and I grew up working on small engines with my dad. This tuning stuff is just new to me.

Thanks

Lifetime Member

You need to grab an 02 F-Body OS (the DropBox has at least one) and simply segment swap the Transmission and Transmission Diagnostics segments into the F-Body OS from a Silverado 2500 tune that has a 4L80E. Then, once you have your F-Body OS + 4L80 trans segments in a file, just Full Flash it into your PCM. Then you can wire the 4L80E up normally as GM does and control it properly.

Check out the attached file ending in 4L80E Transmission; I used the Camaro file as the base file and segment swapped the Silverado 4L80E segments in for you.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

ScarabEpic22,

Thanks for helping me out. What does it mean to segment the 4L80? Can you point me in the direction of how that is done? Thanks for doing it for me. I appreciate that. I just want to learn for myself.

Erik has done the segment swap for you, see the file he attached with the name ending in "_4L80E_Transmission.ctz"

( just so you know, to do a segment swap, you open the tune file you're going to use, then open the donor tune file as the alternate, then go Edit->Copy Entire Segment and select the Transmission segment; then repeat for the Transmission Diagnostic segment; save the tune file then you have to full flash to PCM.
    )

To protect your transmission, run the MAF for now, correct it to make sure it is nor under-reporting...

make sure there are no DTC's;

connect a pressure gauge to the line tap on the side of the trans case, make sure pressure stays up (ask Jake what it should read);

when you go to correct the VE table, you will have to keep an eye on line pressure.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by redtacoma31 View Post
    ScarabEpic22,

Thanks for helping me out. What does it mean to segment the 4L80? Can you point me in the direction of how that is done? Thanks for doing it for me. I appreciate that. I just want to learn for myself.
    Basically a segment swap copies EVERYTHING from the desired segment into your existing tune. This only works with the same OS # as the start/end address of the segment is the same so it's simple to copy a block of code over. This copies EVERYTHING, and the reason I emphasize that is because there are a LOT of hidden things in the segment that need to be copied over in order for a different transmission to function properly.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Erik has done the segment swap for you, see the file he attached with the name ending in "_4L80E_Transmission.ctz"

( just so you know, to do a segment swap, you open the tune file you're going to use, then open the donor tune file as the alternate, then go Edit->Copy Entire Segment and select the Transmission segment; then repeat for the Transmission Diagnostic segment; save the tune file then you have to full flash to PCM.
    )
    Thanks Joe, do we have a stick for how to do this? This functionality has been built into the Tune tool for over 10 years, I dont remember there ever being a time where it wasnt available.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

It's in the tunetool's About->Help document.