Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the 411 ECM care whether it's a Corvette or a truck TAC?

Default Does the 411 ECM care whether it's a Corvette or a truck TAC?

I posted the below quote in the Gen III forum, and realized that it might be better put in this forum. I've tried to clarify the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I have read that when using Electronic Throttle Control, I should use compatible ECM (I'll be using a 411), TAC, Throttle Body, and pedal assemblies. If I use a 2002 Camaro tune and modify {G1207} Vehicle Platform Options to enable Electronic Throttle, does it work? If so, should I look for a truck or Corvette TAC and pedal?
    This is an old post, but still a question for me. I see the switch to turn on electronic throttle in the F-body column {G1207} of my 12212156 OS. Is that compatible with both the Corvette and the truck TAC?

I've been trying to do my homework, but the best I have gleaned so far is that I must use compatible TACs and throttle pedals, so I can go with either a truck or a Corvette setup. I really don't want to pay the Corvette tax if I can help it, and I have read that some people have modified truck pedals to fit in tight spaces. I have a tight space situation.

I intend to use a 90mm throttle body (12570790), and the feeling I get is that it will work with either TAC. I'm basing my setup on a Camaro OS because I will be using a Camaro dash cluster.

My setup will be:

Gen 1 SBC
    LS1 sensors
    24x CKP, 1X CMP
    12200411 ECM
    FAST single-plane intake

I'm building a test bench to sort the ECM setup out before it gets installed on the engine. As this is my first project, I anticipate a lot of bench time figuring out what it will take to keep the ECM happy.

I have a lot of milestones ahead of me.

Lifetime Member

There is a recent post on here specifying that truck vs Corvette parts go with either the silver or gold TB blade and are not interchangeable. One has 2 sensors and the other 3.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Thank you, Supercharged111. I searched for truck corvette silver gold, and found a lot to chew on.

Since I posted that, I found a deal on a Corvette gas pedal, so I will be going that direction. I realize that the hard part will be finding an appropriate TAC at a reasonable (for me) price.

You mentioned in one of the posts I recently read that the Camaro doesn't have a DBW segment, so that tells me there is more to do than simply turning on the switch in {G1207}. This worries me, and this is where I'm stuck now, and where I was stuck when I made my initial post. In the few 12202156 files I've compared, the OS is identical, so is the DBW segment somewhere that I can't see with EFI Live, or have I just not found it yet?

Lifetime Member

Interesting project, sounds fun.

I've tuned an 02 DBW silverado and the only thing that was enabled was the electronic throttle in the vehicle options section of the cal.

I think you'll need to verify the voltage signals of the various pedal and TB assemblies you are considering to make sure they provide the same ranges.

I want to say you can run a silver blade ls2 TB with the factory 02 PCM and TAC. The 03 and up 1mb PCMs require the torque rush module to make it open all the way. There are threads on the PT.net forum about this.
    00 Silverado Z71, LQ9 w/ LS3 heads, BTR cam, Whipple 2.9@8#, 4l80E

Thank you for the reply, LastCall. As far as I'm concerned, this is a fascinating project, and I'm sure I'll have months of enjoyment. There is so much to learn! Thanks for the Silverado information.

I've done a fair amount of Internet research, and some of it is conflicting. As soon as my connectors are delivered, I'm going to verify the voltage signals. If I can figure out the voltage, frequency, and pulse width duty cycle requirements of the motor, I'll play with that, too. I haven't found much on that.

Thanks for the tip on PT.net. After some digging, I'm pretty sure you were referring to PerformanceTrucks.net, and I'll check it out.

Lifetime Member

I took a look at the pedal pin outs and they are different between the silverado and corvette pedals. The App1, App2, and App3 all correspond to one another though. The TAC modules also appear to be different as well.

I think you'll need to decide on what 411 OS you want to run and then get the matching TAC and pedals.

Thank you, LastCall. Just to make it clear for a complete n00b like me, when you refer to OS, are you referring to the 12212156 OS that is part of a tune file, or the whole file? This concept is the source of my confusion and question.

No time to retype, sorry. 2/3 of my post disappeared, and I can't go back a page. 12212156 OS, Camaro dash. 2002 Camaro manual transmission tune file. Bothered by 155MPH limit on dash, but can live with it. Can't live with 7000 RPM redline, but no way to test if I can overdrive it until I get everything hooked up. I'm certain that the ECM goes to 8000, but I don't know what it sends to the dash, nor what the dash will accept.
    Last edited by Jim; September 1st, 2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: 2/3 of my post disappeared!

Lifetime Member

The OS is the calibration such as the 12212156 you mention. You can increase the RPM and speed limits in the tune. You can also adjust the output of tech signal based on the gauge type you have. If you go to system, you can see the hi/li pulses in the tach segment which you can adjust. They are based on a 24X crank reluctor.

Thank you, LastCall. I originally assumed I could just turn on a switch like the electronic throttle option and have it work. Then it occurred to me that things might not be so simple, as the truck and Corvette throttles are different, so here I am with my question.

The reason I'm starting with a 2002 Camaro 12212156 tune is that I don't want to have trouble with the dash cluster. I'd like to have just one thing just work. Even so, the speedometer only goes to 155, but I can live with that, as I'll never see anything remotely close to that on the highway. I've tested that already, as I didn't need an ECM for testing that. The speedometer hits the wall at 155, and won't go higher regardless of the input signal. The tachometer dial stops at 7000, and the first thing I will check when I get everything assembled is whether I can overdrive the tach. If not, perhaps I'll look at a Corvette cluster, as I think they go to 7400, which is closer to my goal. I'd be happy with an aftermarket gauge panel, but all the ones I've seen so far are CAN-based. I understand why.

The Camaro dash doesn't use the tach output signal from the ECM, so I assume it gets that information from the Class 2 serial data. I'm hoping that it will be responsive enough for me.

See attached diagram from 2001 F-car (2002 is identical):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	701001.gif 
Views:	329 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	21462

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast