Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: burning plug wires

Default burning plug wires

SDAutoVE__spark_change_0028.ctzLog_3rdgear_16.8psi_1560egt_0113.efiI'm not sure my problem can be tied to tuning but I'm at a loss. I continually burn plug wires up. After the run in the attached long, I had 4 plug wires smoking. Two of them were actually flaming. To start with, I wrapped the headers and used sleeves. That didn't help. Then I pulled the headers and turbo's and had them ceramic coated and then wrapped them again, used sleeves, rolled up header wrap and stuffed it between the wires and headers. Still no help. I played with the timing and was able to get the idle EGTs from 1050ish down to mid 900s. I have one EGT probe in one header on each side about 1.5" from the heads. On the run logged above, the EGTs cruising were in the 1300s max and were mid 1500s max while in boost. Any ideas on this will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by RonnieW; August 29th, 2017 at 05:14 AM.
    01Z06, A4, Huron Speed Twin 67/66's on a 347

Are you running lean? If not it may just be the nature of the beast. I don't have the experience to gauge your egt however my n/a lsx burns wires quite rapidly. My fix was to build my own wires using lt1 optispark end ( fits on LS1 coil connection) and use dei protecto sleeve all the way down to the spark plug boot/wire connection, then dei protecto boots over the boot overlapping the sleeve on the wire. About a foot of sleeve , shrink wrapped with the included high temp shrink wrap to hold it in place, and the boot makes for a clean (and trick) looking install that solved this problem for me. Best of luck!
    Last edited by estringer; August 29th, 2017 at 06:08 AM.

Also be sure you use genuine dei titanium... It's expensive but the china clones are nothing more than a standard fiberglass unit and only offer 1/2-2/3 the protection in my experience. Ive used both in the past and initially just went with the fiberglass boots on this engine and it melted the wire clean off the boot through the fiberglass sleeve. Doing what I outlined above puts two overlapping layers over the place on the wire that sits close to the headers. dei titanium is rated for 2000 degrees iirc. Lastly, granatelli wires held up to heat better than Taylor/msd (tried both)
    Last edited by estringer; August 29th, 2017 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by estringer View Post
    Are you running lean? If not it may just be the nature of the beast. I don't have the experience to gauge your egt however my n/a lsx burns wires quite rapidly. My fix was to build my own wires using lt1 optispark ends(fits on lt1 coil connection) and use dei protecto sleeve all the way down to the spark plug boot/wire connection, then dei protecto boots over the boot overlapping the sleeve on the wire. About a foot of sleeve , shrink wrapped with the included high temp shrink wrap to hold it in place, and the boot makes for a clean (and trick) looking install that solved this problem for me. Best of luck!
    Thanks for the reply. Did you buy LT1 plug wires that you had to put the ends on and cut the wires to length?

I just bought the lt1 coil ends and used a universal set of wires that I could cut to length. Amazon has the lt1 ends, universal wires(Taylor for sure, maybe others), and dei products all on prime. I put my set together for about 200$. I'll go outside and snap a photo here in a moment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170829_132325275.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	979.5 KB 
ID:	21422

Last resort thought as well... Ceramic long boot plug wires are also available from accel

Quote Originally Posted by estringer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170829_132325275.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	979.5 KB 
ID:	21422

Last resort thought as well... Ceramic long boot plug wires are also available from accel
    Thanks for taking the time!

Running a bit lean will heat up combustion chamber temperatures.

Running overly rich and/or retarding spark timing will cause the fuel to keep burning after it exits the combustion chamber, i.e. it will continue to burn in the headers, this increases the temperature in and around the headers (and will make catalytic converter glow red hot).

What fuel are you using...?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Running a bit lean will heat up combustion chamber temperatures.

Running overly rich and/or retarding spark timing will cause the fuel to keep burning after it exits the combustion chamber, i.e. it will continue to burn in the headers, this increases the temperature in and around the headers (and will make catalytic converter glow red hot).

What fuel are you using...?
    93 octane, no cats, look at the tune I attached to see if you think it is too lean or fat. What about the EGTs?

Please stop WOT with this tune
    your PE tables should be redone
    your VE and boost VE table need a lot of work
    You are commanding 12.7 AFR with 17psi boosted car wich is very dangerous (should be around 11.4 )
    start with B3618 set it to 11.4
    EFILive Tuner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast