Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pull Truck Tuning

They are II 400's, I believe they have body mods but who knows. I've got a FI 488 ETR on the way for it, we'll see what it does with that.
    I have played with timing on the dyno with this truck and where it's at now is where it wants to be. I tried pulling timing back and tried adding more and it lost either direction.

What about pulling PW back till it drops more then about 20hp? 1650us for 8-900hp on 400% seems like way too much fuel and you could even be drowning the cylinders where it is running too cool. Have you ran on the dyno lower then 1200us pw? You could probly lower cylinder pressure dramatically by pulling some fuel and timing and still make same power. Like the 400% i did made 750hp with 700us, 950hp with 900us, 1070 at 1000us and 1075 at 1200us. So I could see I clearly ran out of air so I don't feel that the extra fuel. I didn't try going past 1200 us as I felt power would just keep falling off from too much fuel as well as making it harder to pedal on the line to get charger lit.

What kind of Dyno are you using? This dyno is notoriously low. It's a big Mustang that always disappoints haha. Example, my personal truck in my sig, I put down 735, then the next weekend went down on the mobile dyno and put down 825, no changes made to the truck or tune. So please take the numbers with a grain of salt, to an extent anyhow.
    This year with the 400 overs I started at 1200uS/18* timing and went up from there. The 1200uS tune I believe put down 680 if I recall correctly. I really think these s5xx turbos are the problem. My theory will be tested in a couple weeks when the 488 ETR shows up.
    Doesn't run too hot, 1750-1800ish is the recall on the edge after a typical pull.
    Last year with the 250% overs running 2200uS it ended up around the same HP, just couldn't get anymore out of it. All I know is if the new turbo doesn't make more power then I've got myself a 488 to put next to the 69 on my truck.. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
    What kind of Dyno are you using? This dyno is notoriously low. It's a big Mustang that always disappoints haha. Example, my personal truck in my sig, I put down 735, then the next weekend went down on the mobile dyno and put down 825, no changes made to the truck or tune. So please take the numbers with a grain of salt, to an extent anyhow.
    This year with the 400 overs I started at 1200uS/18* timing and went up from there. The 1200uS tune I believe put down 680 if I recall correctly. I really think these s5xx turbos are the problem. My theory will be tested in a couple weeks when the 488 ETR shows up.
    Doesn't run too hot, 1750-1800ish is the recall on the edge after a typical pull.
    Last year with the 250% overs running 2200uS it ended up around the same HP, just couldn't get anymore out of it. All I know is if the new turbo doesn't make more power then I've got myself a 488 to put next to the 69 on my truck.. haha
    Haha There you go. I gotcha maybe the injectors don't have as much for body mods. Not sure. My dyno is a DynoJet but it has always been 10-20hp lower then 4 mustang dynos around me.

The turbo will tell you alot for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
    Just out of curiosity are you running early or late pistons?

late pistons

Any updates? Did the 488 make a difference or do you have a set of compounds on your truck now lol

Got it on the dyno with the 488, and first pull the trans let go.. Just can't win with this one haha. They have a new trans for it now but the season is over so they are in no rush to get it back together and in the truck. I'll update when they do.

I am working on a similar project right now. It is going to be my first time tuning a pull truck. I really hope everything is going to be fine, as I really like this idea, however I have never had a similar experience before. Mine is also having a 103mm turbine, and I do not know what to do with it, should I replace it, or not. I have been using this truck back when I was working for a car shipping company. It was a great company actually, it was developing really fast due to the services of best trucking factoring companies as they invested a lot of money into out accounts.
    Last edited by Williamrush; April 19th, 2021 at 08:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12