Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull Truck Tuning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pull Truck Tuning

Was wondering if any of you guys would be willing to share what the max timing you've ever run is? Story is, I've been tuning a local 2.5 class pull truck. Setup is a Blacks 6.4, Turbo is a 96mm comp with a 2.5 insert, 103mm turbine, t6, 250% over injectors, twin cp3, one is a 12mm on one 10mm, 6.7 rail sensor. Anyhow I've been running it at 2250uS duration, 29k psi and 45* timing up top. It's made 820hp and 1280tq on a really stingy mustang dyno.
    Looking at the logs it looks to me like it wants more timing, you can see the rpm rate of rise start to fall off with the timing curve, it follows it to the T. I've tuned a couple hundred trucks but not a lot like this and I'm a little nervous to give it anymore timing. I was hoping that one of you would be so kind as to give me a little insight. I appreciate the help.
    Thanks,
    Dominic

How are you deciding your timing? Split or?
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

I started out going by split but am now way beyond what I was previously comfortable with. I'm also looking at total degree's of injection and trying not to go much past 60 total degrees of overall injection and trying not to surpase 20* ATDC.
    Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    How are you deciding your timing? Split or?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
    I started out going by split but am now way beyond what I was previously comfortable with. I'm also looking at total degree's of injection and trying not to go much past 60 total degrees of overall injection and trying not to surpase 20* ATDC.
    Thanks for the help.
    Are either of you willing to elaborate on timing and split?

I target 12-15*ATDC which will make you lower your pulse, thus needing more injector
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

I would like to try lowering the pulse while leaving the timing map as is. But that would put me into the 90%+ split range. As I mentioned before from looking at the logs it seems like it needs more timing, but less fuel with the same timing might help as well?
    I'm starting to think that the 2.5 chargers just do not move enough air to make big power. It just seems strange that I can only get 820hp out of something with such a big turbo and fuel setup. I'm making the same power out of my truck with a 369sxe and injectors that are less than half the size. When I agree'd to tune this truck I thought it'd be an easy 1000hp, boy was I wrong.
    The truck has gone through 3 tuners now if you include myself, the other two were big name guys (Miliken and Fuller) and the truck ran good but the power has always been in the same range. I was able to get a bit more out of it but I equate that to being local and being able to tune in person and see what the trucks doing. All of the other trucks I've tuned have been street or drag trucks with real turbo's on them. They've always done close to what I expect.

Split is the split of duration. So if you have 2000uS of duration and have a 50% split you're putting 1000uS of duration in before TDC and 1000uS of duration after TDC.

Did you end up figuring anything out on the truck?
    07 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins, 2inch level, modified air box, deleted exhaust, Efi live tuning, borg warner gov. Solenoid, billet transmission, 35 inch terra grapplers
    22 ram 2500 6.7 6 inch lift 22x12 welds, 37x13.5

Went to 400% over injectors this year and a set of Manton Roller Rockers. Making the same power with 600uS less duration. Sitting at 1650uS duration now and maxing out around 36* timing instead of 2250uS and 45* that it was at last year. Still making the same power, just can't get anymore out of this charger.

Do the 400% have body mods?

Truck I tuned not long ago with dual stock pumps, s476sxe and 400% DDP Injectors with body mods
    made 1070 at a 1000us file and 15.5* at 3900rpm which is where peak power was made which is 66% btdc
    made 1075 at a 1200us file and 18.6* again at 3900rpm which is still 66 btdc.

I played around clear up to 85% btdc and it just kept loosing power above 68% btdc

That being said each truck is a little different and you will have to find the happy spot as each injector is different from how they atomize. I think if they atomize like shit then you will need to extend the timing out farther and farther to hit the sweet spot of when they atomize to make best power. So you might try pulling some timing and see if you gain some power back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast