Thread: Could someone sanity check my calc.vet VE table?

Default Could someone sanity check my calc.vet VE table?

attatched is a screenshot of my calc.vet derived VE table... there is no computer smoothing done, however I have been selecting individual cells and increasing by .5% at a time to smooth and bring up low areas. at most I think ive done 2-3% increase in any one cell.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polishedmap RPM.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	315.8 KB 
ID:	21499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polishmap MAP.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	21500

additionally here is a screenshot of my last two logs, showing the populated VE map in the hit count view mode, to show the amount of data I've logged/used

Name:	hitcount1.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	21501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitcount2.png 
Views:	230 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	21502

can anyone sanity check that for me? I feel like the dip around 2000 RPM in the 85 KPA area under WOT should be more linear. also shouldn't the VE drop off after ~5000 rpm?

additionally, I have corrected the MAF using calcvet and running with no VE table active above 400 rpm, I hit a perfect 12.7-12.8 AFR at WOT but only in second gear. third and fourth WOT pulls lean out to the 13.0 range. WTF?

I am currently running a 349 CI ls1 with longtube headers, TFS 215 heads, fast 90/90 and a 236/238 cam, full boltons. but with stock z28 exhaust past the kooks Y-pipe. there is a cutout installed as well but I'm getting the closed cutout tune dialed in before I address that.
    Last edited by estringer; September 17th, 2017 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by estringer View Post
    attatched is a screenshot of my calc.vet derived VE table... there is no computer smoothing done, however I have been selecting individual cells and increasing by .5% at a time to smooth and bring up low areas. at most I think ive done 2-3% increase in any one cell.

Name:	polishedmap RPM.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	315.8 KB 
ID:	21499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polishmap MAP.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	21500
    Looks pretty good.

additionally here is a screenshot of my last two logs, showing the populated VE map in the hit count view mode, to show the amount of data I've logged/used

Name:	hitcount1.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	21501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitcount2.png 
Views:	230 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	21502

can anyone sanity check that for me?
    Looks ok to me... as you can see it's harder to get more cell hits in the upper ranges.

What does your MAF table look like...?

I feel like the dip around 2000 RPM in the 85 KPA area under WOT should be more linear. also shouldn't the VE drop off after ~5000 rpm?
    Those 2 holes: bring them up to the surrounding level.

additionally, I have corrected the MAF using calcvet and running with no VE table active above 400 rpm, I hit a perfect 12.7-12.8 AFR at WOT but only in second gear. third and fourth WOT pulls lean out to the 13.0 range. WTF?
    Get the AFR correct in 3rd gear, and 2nd gear will be richer and that is ok (richer is safer; and, you spend less time in 2nd vs 3rd).
    This is a common, problem, the loads in 2nd and 3rd are very different.

Also, if you're tuning on a chassis dyno, then AFR 12.7-12.8 is ok. If you're street tuning 9not advisable) then set PE to AFR 12.5-12.6.

I am currently running a 349 CI ls1 with longtube headers, TFS 215 heads, fast 90/90 and a 236/238 cam, full boltons. but with stock z28 exhaust past the kooks Y-pipe. there is a cutout installed as well but I'm getting the closed cutout tune dialed in before I address that.
    Post your tune file.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Looks pretty good.

Looks ok to me... as you can see it's harder to get more cell hits in the upper ranges.

What does your MAF table look like...?
    Yes it is... ive done what i could but i think i may take a few more logs of just WOT pulls and paste the WOT section in as i think my part throttle driveability area is pretty well sorted out. ill post my log file below, the MAF table is pretty smooth

Those 2 holes: bring them up to the surrounding level.
    if you meant the holes in the 85kpa area on WOT as shown above, ive brought them up some in the tune attatched below. is that right?

Get the AFR correct in 3rd gear, and 2nd gear will be richer and that is ok (richer is safer; and, you spend less time in 2nd vs 3rd).
    This is a common, problem, the loads in 2nd and 3rd are very different.

Also, if you're tuning on a chassis dyno, then AFR 12.7-12.8 is ok. If you're street tuning 9not advisable) then set PE to AFR 12.5-12.6.

Post your tune file.
    done... and understood on the afr.... do i want to modify the b3618 PE modifier table? is that the way to correct AFR once the MAF table is correct? log file is attatched below.. thanks much joecar. bear with me as I'm fairly certain ive broken a valvespring and am going to be replacing springs, lifters, etc. this week

calcvet1.5VE85kpasmooth.ctz

Quote Originally Posted by estringer View Post
    if you meant the holes in the 85kpa area on WOT as shown above, ive brought them up some in the tune attatched below. is that right?
    Yes.

done... and understood on the afr.... do i want to modify the b3618 PE modifier table? is that the way to correct AFR once the MAF table is correct? log file is attatched below.. thanks much joecar. bear with me as I'm fairly certain ive broken a valvespring and am going to be replacing springs, lifters, etc. this week
    Yes, edit B3618 to set the AFR (or EQR);

remember: the model is in 2 steps:
    (1) airmass (MAF and/or VE).
    (2) desired (commanded) fueling (PE and OLFA when not in CL), which is applied on top of airmass.

Joecar-

I am getting my new valvetrain kit tomorrow and will try to get it installed in the next week. in the meantime, I am configuring a Toughbook to be the dedicated tuning/diagnostic garage pc. with flashscan v1, and windows 10, do I want v7.5 or v8?

With V1 you have to use V7.5 software.

Thanks!