Thread: HELP PLEASE WITH CTS2 AND DSP5 SWITCh

Default HELP PLEASE WITH CTS2 AND DSP5 SWITCh

Can someone shed some light on a situation that I have going on. I bought a pick up 6 years ago that has dsp5 and the tuning to go with it. since that time I have owned a couple of other duramaxs, bought the v2 and installed tunes. I recently bought a cts2 for my 05 lly. the tunes that are o the truck came from some guy that I am never going to find, although I know that they are duramaxtuners tunes. I went in to switch the dsp5 from hardwired to serial. After roughly 6 hours of unplugging stuff I finally got everything to go like it should with one hiccup. EFI wants me to buy a new license for a vehicle that already has efi live tuning on it. Am I missing something? Or do I have to spend 125 dollars on a new license just to change my dsp5 from hardwired to serial? Because that is a rip off if that is the case.....any info would be greatly appreciated.

Lifetime Member

The license remains on the FlashScan or AutoCal hardware, we don't leave a marker in the ecm to say "allow any FlashScan or AutoCal Device to reflash". If you choose to use another FlashScan or AutoCal to flash, it will need to be licensed. If you reflash your ecm with the original device used to load the tunes, the ecm will have already been licensed.

Cheers
    Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

wow, kinda disappointing to hear. That's a money making scheme if I have ever seen one. The same vehicle realistically could have thousands of dollars spent on the same tune or calibration settings if the vehicle is sold and the original flashscan can not be found, do that 4 or 5 times, the same ecm has to be bought and re bought. Why cant efi live make it to where it will recongnize efi live files and tunes? Thank you for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by karstd View Post
    wow, kinda disappointing to hear. That's a money making scheme if I have ever seen one.
    Think about it this way, if you purchased a second hand phone that had $100 worth of apps installed on it, the original owner wipes the phone clean before selling it to you then you try to reinstall all the apps he had and iTunes/GooglePlay says that you don't own those apps and you must buy them again, this is a similar situation. Yes someone else spent money on an ECM license but that is married to their hardware, not their ECM, just like my app example is the account owner has the apps linked to them, not the device.

Quote Originally Posted by karstd View Post
    Why cant efi live make it to where it will recongnize efi live files and tunes?
    Because it would be very difficult to come up with a system where people didn't try to take advantage of that and never buy licenses.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

The easiest solution is to reuse the same FlashScan or AutoCal when reflashing the ECM. When you reuse the device, there are no EFILive licensing charges after the initial flash.

Our licensing scheme needs to be something we manage, to do so we use our hardware.

Once the tune is inside the ecm, unless it's a custom operating system there is no identifying marker to say it was an efilive tune, so your suggested licensing scheme wouldn't work.

Cheers
    Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just about every tuning software in the world work's in a similar fashion.

How ever if you think this is a racquet, Try some other software companies that charge you for extra options like this and are not as stable in the reflash process... Brick Just 1 ECU and it will cost you a small fortune not to mention the lack of technical support...

Some companies make you license the tune file just so you can edit it that file along with whatever ECU it's flashed too! In other words, If I sent you my Tune file from the same truck with the same mods You couldn't do anything with it. You would have to first license your ECU to the cable Then Use another license to flash the file I sent you costing you 2x as much.