Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CMC High RPM Fueling

Lifetime Member

I've seen the evidence that the hard OS limit will not let you get to 4000. It is a rather abrupt wall according to the datalogs.

We have a solution to high rpms via modifying the file outside EFI, just was curious if it was done another way IN EFI. And if it held full mm3 all the way out with current mapped params. I've seen a taper in fuel qty usually around 3000-3200 without intervention.

I cannot find any help with cax. I have searched and looked for classes. Asked around a bit but seems in the diesel community you are belittled for not being born with the knowledge. I'm a tuner. I consider myself pretty good and do my best. Have tuned most platforms of diesel using several products/softwares. Reading binary interests me but going at it without resources and alone is daunting and intimidating. I'm willing to put the time, effort and capital up for the tools to do so.

With that said i guess its back to a variation of the original question.

Does EFILive have any plans to find the limiters in this ECM preventing them from going full fuel to 5000rpm?

A CAX file is simply a notepad.txt file named as a .cax, it is created by the tuner and when the EFI-Live editor opens the calz file it also opens and displays the definitions in the CAX File.

There is not simpler way to explain it, it can only be created by someone who is able to find, identify and then create the CAX File, there is no secrets.

The information must be obtained, as in someone shares with you the hex address, the factor, offset and precision, or you have no chance unless you figure it out or can run IDA and disassemble code and reverse engineer code, that is what Ross does.

It sucks, but if anyone has info that gives an advantage, they don't share it usually.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

So once a cax is created where is it put so the calz file when opened it also displays the cax? I remember their are also special naming of the .cax in order for efilive to open and understand it. What is a best software to use, winOLS, tuner Pro? I don't want anyone to hold my hand or share their work on the mapping itself. Just some guidance in the correct direction in getting to the point of finding it in the hex and then opening it in efilive once it's found.. Before long I would be running south a mile when all it took was one step north. I have worked with a .cax provided by fleece once to use their dual pump controller but cannot remember where that file was put and renamed to get the result I got. Do you know of any good dreading or research so I can better my knowledge on the subject?

Lifetime Member

When I was trying to learn how cax worked I read the entire CAX forum section front to back and back to front. Poked at a few files shared to understand the format. And tried to display data in EFI with a quarantined tune file. Spare PCM not a bad idea either.

But at the end of the day that is the easiest part of the whole thing. Finding the useful data is the daunting task. Tony/Ridgerunner just outlined what that entails. The CAX information already exists. Aside from the occasional bugs I and others have run into (mainly bitmasks) CAX itself is very straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by SASDakota View Post
    When I was trying to learn how cax worked I read the entire CAX forum section front to back and back to front. Poked at a few files shared to understand the format. And tried to display data in EFI with a quarantined tune file. Spare PCM not a bad idea either.

But at the end of the day that is the easiest part of the whole thing. Finding the useful data is the daunting task. Tony/Ridgerunner just outlined what that entails. The CAX information already exists. Aside from the occasional bugs I and others have run into (mainly bitmasks) CAX itself is very straight forward.
    Thank you. I'll venture over there and start reading. I have some but not front to back.

I use WINOLS.

So if the integer(s) are not specific to metric or sae values then its a bit easier, so if its something like a fuel tank gals or litres you need to denote the factors and offsets to display the raw values correctly in the editor by displaying metric or imperial values, some are not specific values and are raw numbers multiplied by a factor only.

The CAX File is named with the "OS Number.cax" and it is saved in the following WIN7 directory path

C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations

Here is an "example" of a simple single address value for LML files if EFI Live did not provide a gear ratio value and you wanted to alter that value using a .CAX FILE

Calibration definition extension for OS 12644094

The actual HEX ADDRESS would be where I placed XXXXXX's

[G2507]
    ; Description
    ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DESC.001 = Diff Gear Ratio
    ;
    ; Seg Caption Major Minor Vis Dis 2D Grp
    ; --- -------------------------------- ---------------- ---------------- --- --- -- ---
    VIEW = 8 " Diff Gear Ratio for Gear Swaps" "Speedo" "" 1 1 0 0
    ;
    ; Address(es) BitOff Bits Typ Inv
    ; -------------------------------- ------ ---- --- ---
    ADDR = XXXXXX 0 16 SNM 0
    ;
    ; Units Factor Offset Prec MinLimit MaxLimit MinUser MaxUser
    ; -------- -------------- ------ ---- -------- -------- -------- --------
    SI_SLOT = RATIO .01 0 1 0 600 0 600
    ;
    ; Units Factor Offset Prec MinLimit MaxLimit MinUser MaxUser
    ; -------- -------------- ------ ---- -------- -------- -------- --------
    IM_SLOT = RATIO .01 0 1 0 600 0 600
    ;
    ; Body Col Row
    ; -------------- -------------- --------------
    ULABELS = . . .
    ;
    ; Enumerations
    ; -------------------------------------------------------------------
    SI_ENUM = .
    IM_ENUM = .
    ;
    ; Units Labels
    ; ---------------- -----------------------------------------------------
    SI_COL = . .
    IM_COL = . .
    ;
    SI_ROW = . "RATIO"
    IM_ROW = . "RATIO"
    ; ================================================== ================================
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Thanks Tony. That's the kind of information I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by comnrailpwr View Post
    Does EFILive have any plans to find the limiters in this ECM preventing them from going full fuel to 5000rpm?
    I tried but could never find the limiter, it kept me up at night I can assure you.

Also, there is a sample .cax file in the EFILive installs located here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations

The file is called 'Template.cax' and it shows every possible way to define a .cax, you can just view it in Notepad.

Important note, if people want to go messing around with files outside of EFILive or via .cax there is a very real possibility you may brick the ECM by defining something wrong, EFILive will not cover replacement licenses in these instances.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

This truck I tuned on to day was hitting a wall at 4000 rpm. Fueling was no problem up to that point as I had issues with rail relief popping. This one had the 11551035 cal. Truck belonged to a dealer and had it sold so was unable to spend much time with it.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast