Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 6.7 C&C Tuning Issues

Lifetime Member

Until they remove the plug again like they did in 06-07.

Oh no, this gateway sounds pretty bad (I've heard GM are going to be rolling out something similar soon).
    Our Tech Authority expired recently, best renew it and check this out. From what I can tell the ECM itself is still 'normal' and it must just be this module causing the problem so yes a bench flash might work.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

From Tech Authority...

The Security Gateway (SGW) module is located in the Controller Area Network (CAN) architecture between the Data Link Connector (DLC), Radio Receiver Module (RRM) and Star Connector for Powernet.
    The main function is to gate messages from one bus to another. It provides security against certain types of attacks and threats from the service tool or RRM bus to the vehicle.
    The module gates messages within the CAN-C bus, or the CAN-CH bus. The module contains up to eight dual wire CAN channels that comply with CAN-FD (the module does NOT support partial networking functionality).
    The module is a frame gateway, it does not provide signal gateway functionality. With the gating there are several criteria that must be met, that is to say the message must be on the allowed list from the source bus.
    The SGW module prevents threats to the bus systems through the DLC. A secure connection must be present to allow authentication between the SGW module and the diagnostic scantool.

That last sentence sounds like it might be a problem for 2018's going forward trying to program on the vehicle
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Oh boy. Do you ever think to yourself: man, my life was so much easier 5 years ago?

About 10 times a day that thought crosses my mind, always another wave coming to sink you down again.

I'm not sure how we could ever get around this TBH, it would appear that the SGW is smart enough that it will let scantools get logging data, DTC's etc but it is going to block what they consider threats (like, reflashing messages). Of course unless you are Dodge and know the negotiations to get through. Anyone want to ship a brand new Ram to NZ for a year while we work on it
    Maybe there is a market for bypass connectors to the SGW (5 paper clips would probably work).

Lifetime Member

I forsee J1939 flashing becoming a thing, no?

I agree. OBD port flashing is on its way out unfortunately.

Well as annoying as that might be it is at least a solution and still better than what some tuners have to deal with (search on late model Mercedes V8 tuning).
    For workshops a CM2350B bench harness would also do the trick (I assume), the OS's aren't encrypted or anything nasty like that.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    For workshops a CM2350B bench harness would also do the trick (I assume), the OS's aren't encrypted or anything nasty like that.
    I don't have a bench harness currently, I wonder if you take the 18' computer and put it in a 13-17 truck if that would allow you to flash it?

Any reason I shouldn't try this? I have the means to try this next week.

I can't say for sure on that, sounds like a reasonable idea though. Not sure how the rest of the truck with go with a 2018 program in the ECM though.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast