Thread: Engine cooling Fans continually running.

Default Engine cooling Fans continually running.

We are putting a LS3 into a Range Rover. Using a Speartech standalone simple loom which controls the engine cooling fan through J1 58. Now the engine starts cold and runs for 20 seconds and the engine cooling fan kicks in and stays on. We can control the trigger to the fan relay in EFI live so I know the wiring to the fans is correct.

I have tried many settings and have been persevering with the issue for about 4 weeks and now have 4 conversions with the same issue.
    L76 - 6L80
    LS3 - TR6060
    LS3 - 6L80
    LS3 - 6L80

Water temperatures are reading correctly
    IAT correct
    Engine runs fine

Possibly to do with air conditioning. Not sure if not having any of the air conditioning wired in at all is making the E38 go into some sort of cooling warning over load.

Would love to know if anyone retrofitting engines into odd vehicles have come across this issue before.

Thanks

Can anybody help with this one. I have seen similar threads but haven't been able to find the solution. I am sure it is very very simple.

Did you wire in an A/C pressure sensor (or fooler)? Or maybe it thinks the trans is hot, or engine oil is hot.
    I don't have TIS service access to check this for you but I am sure that those things will force the fan on.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

The answer is no. We have done 4 cars this way before I purchased EFI Live. Those cars were tuned elsewhere and the fans work correctly. I am sure there is a patch or something else I am missing. Have you seen this before?

No, but then I'm not involved with engine conversions day to day. When the fans are running have you checked DTC's?
    Anyone else seen this happen?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Have you spoken with Speartech about this??? Maybe they can point you in the right direction???

The Only time I have seen this type of issue My self is on the LS1B for the early OS's. The only fix on those that I am aware of, is to full flash a specific calibration in.

On the LS1B PCM's I have to use a 2002 Truck OS 12212156 and do a Full Flash for it to work correctly on say a 99 or 2000 truck and even some 2001 calibrations to run e-fans properly.

Something is different in the background on the other calibrations and the fans just run all the time. I even tried the "Other" software which I was told supposedly "it works correctly" It did not...

Maybe your issue is similar and you need a specific calibration??? Or perhaps it's a setting???

My only experience with the E38's in swap's, Is Bricking a few ECU's trying to help someone out who wanted to use "The other guys" software because the wiring company had a "base tune file" but couldn't flash the ECU they supplied... It cost me time, money, and wasted license's.

Thanks for your input. I am sure it is simple. I don’t understand why there is fan controlperametres which do not seem to do a thing. It is very annoying. I am currently forced to fit a piggy back fan control unit. Not the way I want things to be. So if anybody knows something I would greatly appreciate the help.

Andrew, as I asked earlier have you checked DTC's when the fans turn on?

Ok so here is what I know and how I solved the issue. GMPX thanks for your help, you were on the right track as I have looked here as well regarding air conditioning. We hadn't wired in a pressure switch because we have other vehicles running without it. But A/C has been in the back of my mind as it was a DTC. What I didn't realise or maybe understand is, I thought turning the DTC's ti not reported etc just stopped them logging when reading the fault code. But apparently having them Not Reported actually stops the PCM reacting to the fault as well. I was unaware of this fact. I thought all the other areas of programing , Fan Controls, VATS, Engine stuff etc was where it all happens. Well after weeks of playing and asking tuners and other programmers who had no idea why, the problem is now sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Richmond View Post
    What I didn't realise or maybe understand is, I thought turning the DTC's ti not reported etc just stopped them logging when reading the fault code. But apparently having them Not Reported actually stops the PCM reacting to the fault as well.
    Yeah that is how it works (maybe confusingly), glad you have it sorted.