Quote Originally Posted by Snipesy View Post
I can't fathom exactly what your argument is going to be for a court case. New legislature or regulation will have to placed. Which would take time, and we don't exactly fill EPA's pockets.

I think the solution everyone will be happy with is to have all ECMs follow a more open system (that is still secure from OTA attacks).
Allow us to roll our own bootloader, and require compilers and low level documentation to be made available for a reasonable price (whether thats directly or indirectly, doesn't matter).
GM keeps their IP. We make our own. No more of this grey area bullshit.

This is all stupid wishful thinking though...
There is also still a question as to what lengths this technology will be used. At present there's three controllers (that we here care about) that use it, and until the E88 popped up, I was moving forward with the assumption this was being deployed out of pressure from environmental regulators to prevent people from doing stuff like deletes for diesels. Also, most, if not all existing controller designs COULD have this signature verification stuff added to the boot loader, but as of present, none of the 2018 part numbers do (and yet they DO have new features to specifically support OTA update scenarios and other security updates like the new challenge/authenticate keys).

Maybe all of the new ECU designs will have it, though. Maybe in 2019 all of the existing ones will also have it. Maybe new ECU designs will have it, but only selectively enabled. Maybe GM will release aftermarket signing keys after the warranty period expires for a given vehicle. There is no doubt about one thing, and that's this technology gives GM full control over what we are allowed to do and not do.