Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........bad news for L5P

Quote Originally Posted by Snipesy View Post
    I can't fathom exactly what your argument is going to be for a court case. New legislature or regulation will have to placed. Which would take time, and we don't exactly fill EPA's pockets.

I think the solution everyone will be happy with is to have all ECMs follow a more open system (that is still secure from OTA attacks).
    Allow us to roll our own bootloader, and require compilers and low level documentation to be made available for a reasonable price (whether thats directly or indirectly, doesn't matter).
    GM keeps their IP. We make our own. No more of this grey area bullshit.

This is all stupid wishful thinking though...
    There is also still a question as to what lengths this technology will be used. At present there's three controllers (that we here care about) that use it, and until the E88 popped up, I was moving forward with the assumption this was being deployed out of pressure from environmental regulators to prevent people from doing stuff like deletes for diesels. Also, most, if not all existing controller designs COULD have this signature verification stuff added to the boot loader, but as of present, none of the 2018 part numbers do (and yet they DO have new features to specifically support OTA update scenarios and other security updates like the new challenge/authenticate keys).

Maybe all of the new ECU designs will have it, though. Maybe in 2019 all of the existing ones will also have it. Maybe new ECU designs will have it, but only selectively enabled. Maybe GM will release aftermarket signing keys after the warranty period expires for a given vehicle. There is no doubt about one thing, and that's this technology gives GM full control over what we are allowed to do and not do.

Yes I thought it was a Diesel only roll-out too (those rolling coal video's coming back to bite everyone again). But as you said then the E88 made its appearance this year and blew that theory out the window.
    History shows that GM run a controller for about 5 or 6 years max then it is replaced with a new design, so based on that...

E39 - 2010 (overdue to be replaced)
    E78 - 2010 (overdue to be replaced)
    E80 - 2014
    E81 - 2016
    E82 - 2016
    E84 - 2016
    E88 - 2017 (new security, used only on 1.5L Malibu)
    E92 - 2013
    E98 - 2015

I think they will either update the E92 to this new security (pretty easy for them to do) or it'll be replaced with another ECM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    I Do not think GM is going to allow the aftermarket tuning community any way going forward to defeat anything in the ecm for on-road usage.

I also know the Big Car Makers have been trying for a long time to force everyone to a dealer for all parts. diagnosis and repair, as it supports the dealers and their overpriced parts and labor if the funnel everyone thru that expensive door with no other choice but to use the dealer.
    Except dealers are individually owned and operated franchises....................GM doesnt give two shits about dealers and if the dealers make money or not on anything except new car sales. Hell, just look at what GM pays the dealers for warranty repair rates/claims.

Newsflash, dealers make all their money on selling cars. Not service and parts. Being required to provide service and parts is literally the bane of dealers' existances....just ask anyone who owns a major car dealer. They HATE service/parts, especially if its a warranty job.

So the whole conspiracy of "car mfg's wanting to strong-arm customers into ONLY having work done at dealers" is a crock. As long as the dealer sells as many new cars as possible, thats 100% all GM cares about.

Its cutthroat in the car industry, thats why most car salesmen are sleazeballs...if they dont sell as many new cars as possible, the dealer fires them....if the dealer doesnt sell as many new cars as possible, GM pulls their franchise.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    Except dealers are individually owned and operated franchises....................GM doesnt give two shits about dealers and if the dealers make money or not on anything except new car sales. Hell, just look at what GM pays the dealers for warranty repair rates/claims.

Newsflash, dealers make all their money on selling cars. Not service and parts. Being required to provide service and parts is literally the bane of dealers' existances....just ask anyone who owns a major car dealer. They HATE service/parts, especially if its a warranty job.

So the whole conspiracy of "car mfg's wanting to strong-arm customers into ONLY having work done at dealers" is a crock. As long as the dealer sells as many new cars as possible, thats 100% all GM cares about.

Its cutthroat in the car industry, thats why most car salesmen are sleazeballs...if they dont sell as many new cars as possible, the dealer fires them....if the dealer doesnt sell as many new cars as possible, GM pulls their franchise.
    GM would still like to force everyone to use only genuine parts, most of all genuine parts are common at dealers, for 2x-10x what the aftermarket charges.

I know that GM prices new trucks at $72K+ and then dealers sell them for $12K off sticker...........the race to the bottom, because they love to make pennies on the truck and $1000's on the financing.........volume, quantity, they make their margin on the trade-in as well.

I know plenty of people in the business, I wish you could order it online, pay for it online and pick it up, cut everyone ight out of the deal, just have a delivery process for $250 or so, and a service center.........I know exactly what I want, can build it online, did that with my 2017 Macan GTS from Porsche, just emailed 10 dealers the "PORSCHE CODE" and picked the best priced one, it was sooooooo easy !!

Amazon for cars...........LOL
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    GM would still like to force everyone to use only genuine parts, most of all genuine parts are common at dealers, for 2x-10x what the aftermarket charges.
    Huh??? GM honestly doesnt give a crap what parts you put on your vehicle! I promise you that. Once its out of warranty period, its not their problem....at all.

You break the door handle at 180k miles on your silverado, you really think GM cares if you replace it with a "genuine" one from the dealer, or a Dorman aftermarket one from Advance Auto?
    12.9s @ 108 mph

Amazon is an authorized ac delco distributor, and www.partszoneonline.com will sell you any genuine part that you can get at the dealer, for half the cost. Not like GM is going to suddenly shut them down in some big conspiracy case to make you pay actual full dealer prices (who actually goes to the local dealer to buy parts anyway??).

GM parts are really NOT that expensive AT ALL if you shop around. With the rare exception here and there, Ive never found GM parts to be completely outrageously priced. You can get entire chassis wiring harnesses for under $300.

Price some porsche parts to fix your macan once its out of warranty if you think GM is such a "big bad meanie thats out to swindle the little customer".
    12.9s @ 108 mph

I see things may be looking up for L5P tunes!
    2005 Twin Turbo Dmax/Allison Ext. Cab Short Box 4X4
    Best 1/4 11.8 @ 118+ on #2 only

Twisted Diesel Tuning-The leader in Duramax Tuning Services and soon to offer Common Rail Cummins Tuning!

Bobotune at rocketmail dot com

SC Research LLC claims they have cracked the E41 Duramax controller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F755C12F-6DAA-4894-BC92-1D53F6AC8C3D.png 
Views:	344 
Size:	359.7 KB 
ID:	22011  
    2005 Twin Turbo Dmax/Allison Ext. Cab Short Box 4X4
    Best 1/4 11.8 @ 118+ on #2 only

Twisted Diesel Tuning-The leader in Duramax Tuning Services and soon to offer Common Rail Cummins Tuning!

Bobotune at rocketmail dot com

Quote Originally Posted by bobo View Post
    SC Research LLC claims they have cracked the E41 Duramax controller.
    I'd be amazed if it was anywhere close to plug and play. Only ways to do that is to take GM's key (don't do that), and/or GM left the door open somewhere. Which, don't expect that to last.

Lifetime Member

If you scroll down on SC's Facebook page:

Posted back in October 2017 -
    After working on the encryption that Mercedes and Chrysler uses for almost 10 years, since 2007, we have some preliminary results on a full break of it. More testing is required, but it is looking promising. This will allow the customer to reflash the ECU without sending it to one of the tuning companies for "ecu unlock".

The best part of these results is that the basic method can be applied to break the latest security that GM has introduced as well.

This all sounds very interesting I only hope that this means the new GM ECM's are not locked up for good.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast