Thread: E40 Replacement

Question E40 Replacement

2005 Vette, 6spd, 110k miles. The original E40 failed at 6 years. The replacement E40 has now failed (also at 6 years). Maybe it is just a coincidence. Maybe not. But clearly the E40 was a 1 to 2 year bridge ECM to the E38/E67 and may have not been GM's best effort. Friends in the ECM repair business say no one is repairing the E40 because of the way the PCBs are made. A quick search finds very few E40s available (at about $500 each). Those same friends say the only units available are take-out units that have been cleaned up and tested. So I asked myself if there is an alternative to either an expensive old-age ECM or having expensive yard art. Another friend in the business says he heard that someone has successfully swapped an '04 Vette 411 ECM into a '05 Vette. 1M 411s were used in so many platforms across so many years there must be a gazillion of them. Swapping E40 pins to 411 pins and loading the two 411 connectors would be a lot of work w/o a reasonable chance of success. So I have a few questions: Does anyone know if the serial and GMLAN protocols are common across those two years? What about BCM / ECM OS compatibility? Has anyone really done this and did they document it? If they did, did they need a TECH II or some such device to make the switch?

Yes unfortunately the way the E40 was designed they aren't a repairable item if there is internal faults.
    I can't give you a firm answer on swapping the 411 PCM in but I think you'll run in to trouble, remember the E40 was CAN and VPW, the 411 is VPW only. I don't know what modules on the 05 Vette listen on the CAN bus to the ECM but if it isn't there then you'll have troubles.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

For some reason when I wrote what I did, I was thinking the '04 had CAN....I know better now. Also I found a $300 E40 so I'm going to think about this for a while before starting any modifications. I believe there are 17 modules/'processors' in the car that check in via password on either the CAN or VPW bus. I think the trick will be to isolate the ECM and find a way to leave the CAN happy enough to control some of the house keeping like opening the doors, indexing the windows, memory seats, etc. Such a conversion will surely lead to some compromises and I'm not sure how (or if) it would work with an auto transmission. I guess the 411 could control the trans also. Cruise control will move to the 411's TAC. Finding a TAC might prove as difficult as finding an E40. I'll have to figure out how to get A/C Request out of the HVAC module. I'm sure traction control will go away but suspect ABS will function at a basic level. Getting the speedo & fuel gauge to work may be the most difficult challenge. All stuff to keep me awake at night.....