Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E38 Oil Temp Sensor Input

Default E38 Oil Temp Sensor Input

Can someone shed a little light on the E38 table {G1218} Engine Oil Temperature Sensor options?

I have some customers looking to switch from "Calculated" to "Sensor" in applications where aftermarket coolers are being used. High HP setups where they need to monitor the oil temp over CANbus data, and adjust tables {B5212} {B5213} {B5214} based on a actual sensor value rather than the factory calculated values.

After a few hours of searching the web, nothing to clarify what ECM pin to use, or what these G1218 options actaully change. The - "Sensor and CAN message" is an interesting option. Is that input, from like IC or BCM, or related to output option??

OS I'm testing on is 12628990, 09 LS3.

Tks

-K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G1218-Oil-Temp.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	21590  

It comes in on J2 Pin 23, but it is a multi-purpose input that is shared with Trans Temp (I assume for M6 applications). I don't know of any applications that use it as oil temp (but then, I've never looked too deep either).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Ok that jives with a post I found somewhere showing EOT as pin 23, but under a different model LS.

Noticed how OS plays a big role with that pin. The hardware I have on the bench came from 2011 5.3l with OS 12639835. That pin was non-responsive on EOT or TFT pids. But soon as I loaded an 09 LS3 "6spd" OS, the pin outputs as TFT pid.

So now the question is, wonder how ECM is gonna respond to changing table G1218 when it's all ready assigned pin as TFT by the current OS? Think it would it be better to load an automatic trans OS, where it's typically an unassigned pin? Or try it as is, and see what happens..

This is only a bench testing setup. Trying to nail down a DPID set for stand alone ECM applications.

Here is the two OS I'm comparing. If I can round up an LS3 automatic VIN, I'll load one up also. What happens if I license that unit and then load diff OS bins? Never tried before..

E38_OS_12639835.ctz
    E38_OS_12628990.tun

You license the ECM regardless of the OS.

When you flash an OS, you have to make sure it is compatible with the ECM (in particular, year/model).

EFILive won't let you flash those OS's in to the same ECM, they would be flagged as incompatible.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks for that verification on license. Didn't think it mattered, but haven't played with loading factory bins after the fact. I'm using a Tech2 and MDI to flash these OS changes, which checks hardware comparability first. No issue going from 2011 OS back to the 09 listed above.

I did find some clarification today to help understand these OS differences relating to pin 23. According to GM doc, the 2009 Pontiac G8 with LS3, [only came with an Automatic trans] uses Pin 23 for EOT signal. And so doesn't the 2010 Camaro L99 or LS3 ECM, however depending on transmission option.. But the 08-09 Vette only used the pin for trans temp with 6spd manual. With an automatic trans, that pin is unused. All Vette's used "calculated" EOT, so the pid values seen on any scan tool are calculated values with stock OS.

I don't have 2009 G8 or 2010 Camaro file handy to look at, but I'll bet default setting in G1218 is "sensor." Please take a peak at those if you have a min.

So question remains, how does that table G1218 actually handle the pin 23 and related canbus output values? My goal is just to nail down if we can use EFIlive to activate that pin on any OS, no matter it's default setting. That would allow the other tables correct reference, and it reports true EOT ovr the bus. Or does everyone need to run a specific OS to take advantage of the sensor. Majority of my customer are doing marine swaps where a fresh water to oil cooler is used, and true EOT "should" be much lower than any calculated value in a car... I know this is also of interest to users who track race these cars and install aftermarket coolers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010_Camaro_X2-23.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	374.7 KB 
ID:	21602

Name:	G8_X2-23.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	567.6 KB 
ID:	21601
    Last edited by kidturbo; October 9th, 2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: image change

There is a number of calibrations that select what shared inputs are used for, eg, Reverse Lockout or Cylinder Shut Off for AFM.
    So of course there is one for EOT or TFT, are you able to do .cax files yourself? I'm happy to let you know the addresses if you wanted to play around (will be much faster than waiting for me to add in to an update).
    I don't know that changing it fixes everything that needs to be fixed but it might be worth a shot to see what happens.

Edit, here is all the info if you can do .cax files or someone can make one for you.

OS 12628990
    Address 0x1FE518
    Signed 16bit
    0 = Engine Oil Temp, 1 = Trans Temp

OS 12639835
    Address 0x1FEDFC
    Signed 16bit

OS 12614676
    Address 0x1FEDEA
    Signed 16bit

Good luck.
    Last edited by GMPX; November 20th, 2017 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks very much. I'll give it a whirl and let ya know how turns out.

After looking through several LS pinouts, OS version controls multiple pins on these units. Very versatile ECM.

What's funny, stock OS 990 on the bench reports that EOT to pid like it's an OPEN circuit.
    While "Estimated" EOT tracks straight to ECT without an RPM or oil pressure signal.
    TFT pid reports as expected in stock OS when pin 23 is wired to a POTs.

Hopefully I'll get time to try those other two OS listed also...

Name:	X2-23_TFT_Bench_Test.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	21603

Oil temp should also be constantly broadcast on high speed CAN frame $4D1, for the BCM and other modules on the bus that need it...
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast