Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E38 Oil Temp Sensor Input

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    Oil temp should also be constantly broadcast on high speed CAN frame $4D1, for the BCM and other modules on the bus that need it...
    Ya knew what I was after didn't ya.. LOL. But our previous work in this area seems to be a bit incomplete.. When I changed from the 11 truck OS, to a 09 LS3 OS, guess what also looks to have changed? See attached.

Have you logged any traffic off an 09 or 10 LSx engine in a car yet? All the msg ID's are different on the LS3.. So unless someone has an A2L file to share, I'm gonna need to start from scratch again.. And by hardware / OS to determine where they split....

Who'd of thunk it.. Likely why BCM's are diff also. An

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E38_OS_990_KOEO_BENCH1.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	21604

Ok guys, I started to load a modified tune today to test that pin assignment, and it won't unlock.. But I read the tune out of it after loading the new OS with tech2.

Here is is the msg. For some reason, SN is blank now.

Script exited with code $0537: Controller is locked with a custom key.

VIN: 1G1YY26W595106262
    Serial: 000000000000

Any suggestions?

Just checked the DL tune file, and SN was all zero when I read it. Maybe it doesn't like that OS... LOL.
    Last edited by kidturbo; October 13th, 2017 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidturbo View Post
    Ok guys, I started to load a modified tune today to test that pin assignment, and it won't unlock.. But I read the tune out of it after loading the new OS with tech2.

Here is is the msg. For some reason, SN is blank now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    EFILive won't let you flash those OS's in to the same ECM, they would be flagged as incompatible.
    I did warn you
    It cannot be recovered.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Yeah but GM forgot to warn me first.. Their remote server took a supplied VIN and said; "Send it..." So I'll let that tool try an recover, while I go shop for another donor unit. Good thing these are dirt cheap.

Is there a Serv No: to year reference guide out there for eBay shoppers?

GM don't check either, I know people think they do but as you've just found out they do not. The corruption is now there for good, no reversing it with TIS once done.
    We don't have a service number cross reference but we do have an OS cross reference.
    http://content.efilive.com/documents...ty%20Guide.pdf
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks much for the input. It's all good, just the cost of learning. Will send that one off to a buddy who likes cracking them open.. I have that OS cross ref, a printed copy even.. :-) Still a crap shoot buying used on Serv No.

Now what has me wondering, those msg ID changes I noted to Ben above. Is that particular OS actually running different network msg ID structure from all others I've viewed, or did the corruption skew that too.

Unlike the E35's I've bricked, this unit still boots, talks, and all pins I tested responding to signal inputs as expected. Even the OBD-II messages look normal. But that GMLAN node traffic looks weird.. So now no choice but restart this exercise in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by kidturbo View Post
    Ya knew what I was after didn't ya.. LOL. But our previous work in this area seems to be a bit incomplete.. When I changed from the 11 truck OS, to a 09 LS3 OS, guess what also looks to have changed? See attached.

Have you logged any traffic off an 09 or 10 LSx engine in a car yet? All the msg ID's are different on the LS3.. So unless someone has an A2L file to share, I'm gonna need to start from scratch again.. And by hardware / OS to determine where they split....

Who'd of thunk it.. Likely why BCM's are diff also. An

Name:	E38_OS_990_KOEO_BENCH1.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	21604
    That looks like "early" GMLAN high speed traffic.

The "late/current" high speed GMLAN traffic will have some ID's with letters in them ($1F5, $1E1, etc), not "numeric only" ID's.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    That looks like "early" GMLAN high speed traffic.

The "late/current" high speed GMLAN traffic will have some ID's with letters in them ($1F5, $1E1, etc), not "numeric only" ID's.
    Hit my neighbor up yesterday who owns a 2012 LS3 Vette about capturing some bus data. He says sure, if you can start the car.. Seems the battery died from setting, he charged it up, but still no crank. He'd done some reading, purchased a new BCM online, and plugged it in a few days back. Still nothing. But as we all know, the BCM needs to be flashed first for VIN match. He didn't... Long story short, he had a local tech come check it out last week with a SnapOn Versus, and they got "No ECM Response".

I suggested he put the stock BCM back in and let me have a look. V2 fails to connect, Error $208. So after checking all ECM fuses, I plug in that little CBT and capture plenty high speed bus data. BCM and stability control units are talking, but I see no ECM related traffic that matches either set of captured E38 msg ID I've seen before. ECM is obviously not waking up, or powering up, who knows.. But I recorded some packets, and spotted a couple easy byte changes like brake pedal switch right off. After about 20 minutes, a tow truck driver shows up to take the car to another shop he'd contacted to looked at it. Which was fine by me. Car is lowered, and there's s no way I was getting to that ECM to verify power and grounds. Likely his ECM is not getting a serial data wake up signal for some reason.

To answer your question, the data sets are definitely different. ID's and byte positions both, nothing matches any of the gas or diesel 07-12 truck sets I have on file. ID structure of the E38 bench setup above matches numbering structure I captured off this Vette's bus yesterday. Minus any ECM traffic. So here is your BCM starter set, with couple 7xx OBD-II IDs tacked on there..

Just for fun, I also tried to pull config data off that BCM using EFIlive software since that was at least talking to me. Returned all Zeros.

I'll go grab another E38 for bench testing today. Try not to corrupt this one

Name:	arlo_no_ecm3_full.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	21611

early/late GMLAN messages will be dependent on platform....not year.

The C6 vette was one of the first vehicles with high speed GMLAN on the powertrain, but still used Class 2 for the body/interior....thats why they used the early GMLAN ID subset.

When GM went to the new electrical architecture that introduced GMLAN for the body/interior (which would include GMT-900 truck/SUV) and abandoned all Class 2, they switched to the "late" high speed GMLAN config and ID subset....they still use this same high speed ID subset today. ie a 2008 silverado, impala, express van will have mostly the same looking high speed GMLAN ID's and bus traffic as a current 2018 global-A vehicle. Obviously a current vehicle will have many more modules so there will be a lot more additional ID's, but the core high speed ID's are still the same.

It was only the very first high-speed powertrain-only GMLAN-equipped vehicles that used early GMLAN where no ID's/messages are shared. C6 vette, some 2004ish Malibu's and Saturns, cadillac XLR....idk maybe a select few others.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Ok I made it to the boneyard today and grabbed a couple more E38's off the rack. That's gotta be the cheapest used ECM on the market at only $30ea. Basically FREE when compared to the 06/07 Cummins CM849 unit I've been trying to source to test with for a month. Those are complete other end of the scale, $600-$700 used, if you can find someone willing to sell..

First E38 unit I chose is an 06/07 model year to load the LS7 OS and verify oil temp pin and ID set for a customers build in Singapore. The current version on this unit is OS 12609099. Last GM update of Nov 2006.

Vin comes back as:

World Manufacturer Index 2G1 General Motors Chevrolet - Canada
    Year of manufacture 7 2007
    Model WU Impala LTZ
    Engine R LZ8, L81, LUK
    Engine size R 3.9 litre V6 MFI, 3.0 litre V6 MFI

Quick comparison of CAN data shows it's using same as our Dmax sets. See attached. I really expected this one to be running that same MSG ID set as the 09 Vette. Discussing this difference with a GM tech buddy, he recalls the Impala being first vehicle to use HSLAN in mid/late 05. Then the 06 Vette release was second. And the E35B we know used new style in 07. So I really expected this Impala to run the "early" style. Nope.... So we'll see how it looks when I load the same year LS7 OS onto it.

Next up. 2009 OS 12628982. Wagers??

Name:	E38_OS_12609099_KOEO.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	21619

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast