Thread: RIP - Holden manufacturing

Default RIP - Holden manufacturing

Today is the day that Holden stops making cars forever, our local production line is on its last shift.
    The Commodore is the reason EFILive exists, both myself and Paul being GMH enthusiasts have purchased many locally made Holden cars over the years but as of today that opportunity has ended.

For such measly budgets (compared to other GM divisions) Holden produced some fantastic cars with bang for buck value like nothing else on our local market.

Aussies, remember this classic Holden ad from the 70's?

I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Yep, those were the days...

who would have ever thought.

Lifetime Member

This is a sad day indeed and I imagine it will change the automotive landscape in Australia.

I'd love to have a VFII Commodore is some HSV trim or a HSV Ute. I was really hoping GM would have greenlit the revival of the El Camino with an Ute here in the states.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

I probably wouldn't know Holden by name if it weren't for EFILive... I hate to see a good one gone. Global Economy, eh? RIP.
    2001 Camaro SS
    EFILive Custom OS3

After watching that commercial, it answered a lot of questions.
    Funny today on FB there was an article about the GM El Camino. I thought of the Australian's farmers wife writing Henry Ford and asked if he could produce a car/truck vehicle, the Ranchero it became to be known in America, Ute to you all. Sad to see, but prices just went up and collecting has started.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

I don't think any cars are made in Ausyland anymore- Canada is headed that way too. My home town used to employ 14000 workers, down to 3000 now- with that kind of local investment there is little incentive for me to buy their product.

Quote Originally Posted by dfarr67 View Post
    I don't think any cars are made in Ausyland anymore
    That was the point of this thread, that Holden was the last one. FORD, Toyota and GM all stopped making cars in Australia within about a 2 year period. That is a lot of people out of work in a small time frame, plus all the local components suppliers too that also went down with the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by dfarr67 View Post
    My home town used to employ 14000 workers, down to 3000 now- with that kind of local investment there is little incentive for me to buy their product.
    Exactly my thoughts too.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

If GMH, Ford, Toyota used Australian steel/aluminium, then there are another two industries impacted.

Quote Originally Posted by joeecar View Post
    If GMH, Ford, Toyota used Australian steel/aluminium, then there are another two industries impacted.
    Shame to hear this about Holden. A piece of history gone, just like that. Pity.
    Last edited by CarterTol; November 1st, 2021 at 10:36 AM.