Thread: autocal error code $0537 then error code $0533

Angry autocal error code $0537 then error code $0533

I am new to diesels but am pretty mechanically inclined and always have done my own work on my vehicles and motorcycles. with that said I purchased my first diesel going on 3yrs ago now and will never go back to a gas truck again!! So for a little history on the truck it is an 05 gmc 2500hd ccsb that I have slightly modded with the typical bolt on stuff. I put a 4" lift on it and upgraded all of the typical weak GM front end components and put Bilstein's all the way around on it. engine mods are... - EFI live (obviously) tuned by john at Road Ready Performance, K&N cold air intake, turbo back straight pipe, EGR delete with high flow intake elbow, & deleted resonator.

so I did all of this a couple of years ago and then about 6 to 8 months ago the truck began to 'surge' at idle which got worse and worse as time went on. it eventually began to put out some white smoke when surging which smelled like unburnt fuel to me. so I did some research on this and came to the conclusion that it was either the FRP relief valve or the FRP regulator. so I had to remove the fuel rail to get the FRP relief valve out so while I had the high pressure lines apart I ported the fitting on the front of the fuel rail to 1/8". I had come across this while researching the relief valve and everything I read said it much improved the throttle response. so mechanically it made sense to me to port the passenger side to 1/16" which is half the driver side since both sides run through the drivers side first. then I replaced the FRP regulator as well and put everything back together figuring I would have to retune the truck but decided to fire it up and see how it ran before paying the retune fee. upon starting up the truck it was obvious that it was getting way too much fuel so I put the old FRP regulator back in but am still getting way too much fuel so much so that I am getting fuel knock (from what I have read on the duramax forum) so I contacted my tuner and sent him all of the mods that I have did to the truck and he wrote me new tunes.

so now this is where I'm currently at and the reason for my post because I really need to get my truck back on the road for work and my tuner seems to not know what to do when I can get him to respond cuz apparently he doesn't take calls unless its 9 to 5 Monday thru Friday so I don't know what normal people that work are supposed to do. (sorry about that little rant but I feel a little better)

when I try to load the new tunes into the truck I got error code $0537 so I pulled some fuses again based on research on this site. the fuses I took out are the ABS, info, radio, airbag, & one or two others. so apparently that took care of that code but now I am getting an $0333 code. I read that the $0333 code can be taken care of and load tunes by using the pass through feature and doing a full flash of the ECM. so I tried to register my VIN license but need the activation code. does my tuner have this code? or can I get the code through customer support with EFI live? also if anyone knows of anything else to resolve this problem I am ALL EARS!!!

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Try using pass-thru mode with the V8 software and check the "Try Common Alternative Keys" and "Assume Lock May Be Faulty" checkboxes.
    If that still fails, locate the trace file that will be saved in the folder \Documents\EFILive\V8\Trace and post it in this thread.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

i had found that on here too but i need an activation code to 'register' my VIN licence.. do i get this from the tuner i got the autocal and tunes from? or do i gotta purchase a VIN license on top of that?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crk79 View Post
    i had found that on here too but i need an activation code to 'register' my VIN licence.. do i get this from the tuner i got the autocal and tunes from? or do i gotta purchase a VIN license on top of that?
    If it fails, please send the trace file. That way we can establish what the problem is and what the most appropriate solution will be.
    The $0537 and $0333 errors do not indicate that you need an additional VIN license, they indicate a seed/key unlock problem.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.