Thread: Building a base VE Map for new engine

Default Building a base VE Map for new engine

Well I must admit I didn’t think it would come to this but here I am, hav rebuilt a LQ9 stoke stroke 9.5:1 Comp, 238/242 114 cam, 90mm TB and edelbrock pro glo intake.

I have the engine on a stand with a stand alone loom so I can get some sort of base while I wait for the rest of the car to be finished. But running out of ideas to get a base VE set up. Started with a factory 5.7 tune added 10% across the board, was running but was lean enough it was popping out the exhaust. Added some more but AFR still lean so grabbed a 6l tune from a HSV well no better no popping but AFR gauge still off the charts lean. Added more across the board up around 90 in the idle areas still no AFR reading. Try give it a rev just dies. Decided I would make it a flat 80 across the board see what would happen still the same.

Is there an equation I can use to give me a base or does someone have a similar setup that I can have a look at a VE table that works. Was planning on getting it idling few revs see where it’s at using auto ve and adjust from there. Bit hard without a usfull AFR reading.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jmsmotorsport; October 28th, 2017 at 06:09 PM.

The stock LQ9 tune should be able to run on heads/cam (maybe not properly, but it should start and run nonetheless)...

sounds like there might be an airleak.

If you have a MAF, you could try running it from MAF-only (make sure MAF is un-failed, and set B0120 to 100 rpm)...

if you can run it from MAF, we can calculate VE.

Not being real familiar with what the LQ9 came from what would be a good base tune to grab from the file depository. The loom I’m using has no MAF provision any more. It is running straight out of extractors they are a long tube and W02 is in front port so around 300mm from end of pipe. Will have another look for any vac leaks. I was also told the injectors were a 42lb and it turns out they are a 36lb so have changed my IFR to suit this but haven’t fired it back up again.

Lifetime Member

Escalades, Silverado SS, and Silvy/Sierra Vortec HOs. There are a few others, but if you have a 512kb PCM you should look at the 02 Escalade file. For 1MB, either an Escalade or Silvy SS should get you close. Check out the EFILive DropBox for some of the files.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Cheers for that. Found a SS one in the depository and it and up as a LQ9. Gored instantly and idle fairly well for a base tune. Added 10% to the VE and actually got a reading on the WB02. Now just to finish the car so I can fine tune it.

Cool good job