Thread: Flashscan almost full

Default Flashscan almost full

My first flashscan is nearly full of vin's. This flashscan is only a few months old due to me having to get a replacement and the original dying.. I did not know it would show up with all the spaces used already when I got it replaced and the info copied over to the new or I would've upgraded to a new one then. What is the best route to go from here? What do most tuner shops do? thought about buying an Autocal and just linking it to my flashscan and then categorizing my customers in folders who's Vin is licenced by the particular device. Basically I would have all my current customers in a Master flashscan folder. Then all future customers would be in an Autocal1 folder, ECT... Anyone see any issues with this?

buy a stream or streams
    330 rwkw EFILIVE OS 01290005 SD Cam / Head Tuned 6 speed VY SS Commodore
    10/71 Blown 572 Big Block Chev HQ 2 Door Monaro

GM Performance Centre
    Busselton WA
    AUSTRALIA
    Phone: 0447 003050

Their is no stream available for Cummins or LML. Only stream that would benefit me is lbz/lmm but those are a minor portion of what I do around here.

Look at it this way, an Autocal costs "X" and can tune 221 vehicles and tune both platforms.

A V2 to tune both platforms costs "Y", and does the basically same thing except no SD Card slot and a smaller screen/menu layout.

Smart money is to buy an Autocal for 1/3 the cost of a V2 if you are using it for yourself, if just looking at costs of the devices and comparing them to what they will do for your business the Autocal is a better choice simple due to cost.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    Look at it this way, an Autocal costs "X" and can tune 221 vehicles and tune both platforms.

A V2 to tune both platforms costs "Y", and does the basically same thing except no SD Card slot and a smaller screen/menu layout.

Smart money is to buy an Autocal for 1/3 the cost of a V2 if you are using it for yourself, if just looking at costs of the devices and comparing them to what they will do for your business the Autocal is a better choice simple due to cost.
    That was my thoughts on it as well. Just wanted to run it by everyone to see if there was any negative to that that I was missing. By rights it is just being used as a pass-through device or bbX flash device

Quote Originally Posted by comnrailpwr View Post
    My first flashscan is nearly full of vin's. This flashscan is only a few months old due to me having to get a replacement and the original dying.. I did not know it would show up with all the spaces used already when I got it replaced and the info copied over
    This is typically what people want though because if you just got a new blank unit then all those VIN licenses would be lost (thanks for all the support BTW that you filled it). So if any of those customers vehicles came back for some more tuning mods you would have been asked to license the ECM again.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

AutoCal will do what you want if cost is the deciding factor but there are some other considerations for people who tune a lot.

If you use BBX a lot on late model controllers where the Tune sizes are large you'll only fit 1 Tune on the device.

Each tune file requires permission to flash, so if you think about reading and flashing a stock file, for BBX you'll need to move the tune file to PC, connect FlashScan and save the tune for AutoCal then move it back to flash. If you use pass-thru, when the tune saves to PC, you'll need to disconnect AutoCal, connect FlashScan to save for AutoCal then reconnect the AutoCal.

AutoCal [Read] menu item was designed for end users who require little tuning knowledge. In BBX It reads the controller, but cannot flash from that location. You need to move the tune file, save for AutoCal and then place it in the tune file location.

In my role as part of the software test team I create a large number of tune files for both FlashScan and AutoCal. Depending on the changes, some months I could sit just flashing tune files on the bench setup for 6-8 hours a couple of days straight. Both do the job, but in my opinion I find when I'm pushed for time, or when time is important to me I'd much rather be using FlashScan. In my case, there is no need to spend time creating a custom tune to meet a customers need - I'm purely testing read, flash, licensing, logging etc.

Cheers
    Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Its a tough call, because the Autocal involves extra steps, and has a limited memory.

The V2 also comes in with 2 Vin Slots with licenses, so depending on what you ate doing with it will depend on what best fits the need at the time.

If cost is the only factor then Autocal, if convenience and SD Card Slot is a necessity for FULL Flashing Larger Files like LML and the Cummins stuff, then time saved would be Flashscan and BBX flashing.

Good Luck
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.