Thread: Coil per cylinder on a vortec 4.3?

Lifetime Member

Default Coil per cylinder on a vortec 4.3?

I

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by bubba68ss View Post
    I
    so what happens if you 24x swap a 4.3 and change the cylinder count to 6 and update the injectors and everything from the v6 tune? Can you have a DBW COP v6?

Lifetime Member

You could do this with an e67. Not sure if it can be done with 411. 24x has been used on a 6 cylinder before.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

I played around with this same exact thing for a while. ANother guy and I played with the code, crank sensor pattern and what not and we came to the realization that we were not going to be able to make a V6 coil on plug with a LS1 style computer.
    Although we did find out that we could use the V6 Shortstar (3.5 in olds intrigue)to use 24X and coil on plug with a little ingenuity. You have to use tunercat to tune it though, as the PCM is not supported with EFI Live or HP tuners.
    Hope this helps

Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by schwoch1 View Post
    I played around with this same exact thing for a while. ANother guy and I played with the code, crank sensor pattern and what not and we came to the realization that we were not going to be able to make a V6 coil on plug with a LS1 style computer.
    Although we did find out that we could use the V6 Shortstar (3.5 in olds intrigue)to use 24X and coil on plug with a little ingenuity. You have to use tunercat to tune it though, as the PCM is not supported with EFI Live or HP tuners.
    Hope this helps

Mike
    Really good information.

Sucks it won

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    You could do this with an e67. Not sure if it can be done with 411. 24x has been used on a 6 cylinder before.
    What do you mean you played with the code?
    after playing around with the EOIT routines it does take into consideration the number of cylinders to calculate the firing angle. Don't know if we have that defined. Then again I don't have a v6 to play around with.

I guess what I meant played with code is I changed some settings as far as cam angle and worked with another guy that knew code and was pretty handy with the 0411 PCM. He couldn't find anything that related to the firing angles and there was no one else that was interested in helping, so we dropped the subject after we found the Shortstar PCM would allow a V6 to use a 24X sensor and coil near plug ignition setup.
    I still to this day would love to use a 0411 PCM to run a V6 engine, but there is little interest in it as most people use a V8 for everything. The project I was working on was a MPFI Corvair engine. Wanted to use a 0411 PCM on it with DBW, but shelved the project for now when I found out the PCM I wanted to use would not work. I looked into using the E67 ECM, but that one was WAY over my head. I will come back to the project when time allows or someone can help figure out how to do coil near plug on a V6 with a 0411 PCM

Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

Lifetime Member

Im interested. If you do pick up the project let me know