Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopelessly stuck

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hopelessly stuck

I used my V2 FlashScan to put an new calibration in my car to do some VE table tuning. It would not start. No problem - I'll just flash it back to the prior calibration. But decided to finally use the black box flashing provision of V2 and save lugging the laptop back and forth. Big mistake. I read the instructions and saw that should be running the latest software and firmware. I downloaded and installed the latest v7.5 and V8 and checked that I could talk to the FlashScan. I put it in dead poll mode by plugging it in with the Ctrl key down. I tried to run Start menu->All Programs->EFIlive V7.4->Update FlashScan V2 Firmware, but it was not there. The only thing close was Firmware Programmer, which I tried. It said 'no connection'. More forum searching and reading led me to discover that it doesn't work anymore. I needed to use V8. Except V8 EFIlive Explorer says 'no device connected'. So I give up on that but now when I plug in the FlashScan, I get all lights for a moment, pause, the blue light blinks once, then two flashed of a yellow light and nothing. The backlight seems to be on but nothing on the display and no response to button presses. What is wrong? Where do I go from here?

You meant V7.5 and not V7.4, right...?

There is no Update FlashScan V2 Firmware under Start->All Programs->EFIlive V7.5

Firmware Programmer under Start->All Programs->EFIlive V7.5 is for updating old-style firmware, not new-style firmware.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: which firmware version is currently in your V2...? if it's old-style, there may be a special sequence of steps to update it... let me know asap.

Which V7 and V8 software versions do you have installed...?

Thanks Joe. Good to see you again.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    You meant V7.5 and not V7.4, right...?
    Of course. And I actually proof read. :(
    There is no Update FlashScan V2 Firmware under Start->All Programs->EFIlive V7.5
    Right. Some of the documentation floating around seems to be a bit dated.
    Firmware Programmer under Start->All Programs->EFIlive V7.5 is for updating old-style firmware, not new-style firmware.
    Yep, I found that later.
    THIS IS IMPORTANT: which firmware version is currently in your V2...? if it's old-style, there may be a special sequence of steps to update it... let me know asap.
    That is a problem, since the V2 is unresponsive.
    Which V7 and V8 software versions do you have installed...?
    The November versions downloaded yesterday - 7.5.15 and 8.2.10
    Also, is your FSV2 currently in dead-poll mode (two amber led's flash alternately)...?
    No. It sits with a blank screen but the backlight is on.

When I plug it in, all lights flash once, then a delay, then the blue light flashes once, then the yellow light next to it flashes twice. Then blank.

I'm wondering if the "no device found" message is due to the usb drivers getting messed up on the upgrade since I could talk to the V2 before I upgraded 7.5 and 8 but haven't had time to chase that yet.

Also, is your FSV2 currently in dead-poll mode (two amber led's flash alternately)...?

The situation has improved markedly. I used the usb manager to remove the usb drivers and install v2.08.14 and the FlashScan lives again. No time left to try to copy a file, but maybe I am over the hump.

Hey, no worries

Ok, now do this:

start V8 S&T and click Check Firmware... what do you see...?

It says I need to update. I have instructions for that somewhere. I will dig them up and give that a shot.

BTW, replacing the USB drivers seems to have fixed the problem. I can plug and unplug at will and the FlashScan always comes up.

ok, let me know how you go.

It all went amazingly well, given my history. The bootblock was ok but I updated the firmware. I managed to get the FlashScan configured and the prior tune loaded on it. I figured out how to BBF and did that. The car fired up!!! Apparently one of the instructions for VE table tuning hosed it. I suspect either B0120 or C2906, but now I can easily back out the changes one at a time until I find the culprit. It is crazy. I write embedded software for a living, but doing some of this stuff is terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    It all went amazingly well, given my history. The bootblock was ok but I updated the firmware. I managed to get the FlashScan configured and the prior tune loaded on it. I figured out how to BBF and did that. The car fired up!!!
    Good job

Apparently one of the instructions for VE table tuning hosed it. I suspect either B0120 or C2906, but now I can easily back out the changes one at a time until I find the culprit.
    I'm curious to know which one.

It is crazy. I write embedded software for a living, but doing some of this stuff is terrifying.
    I used to do embedded code, now I do linux device drivers ( which is sort of embedded code, but interfacing to (and running in) the OS kernel )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast