Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CM850 Support

Dominic, it's been an interesting exercise with the CM850. Unfortunately with this ECM it looks like it has been evolving since its introduction in 2002, the result is the ECM structure between the initial version and later CM850's like your one is very different, it might as well be a different ECM it is that different.
    I think I have resolved the problem with the reading failing at the end for you however we still need to work on checksums for all the variations of how this ECM is structured. The ECM we tested with here is from 2005 which still used the structure the same as the initial 2002 version which is all working fine, I don't know when they changed but yours is the later style which we still need to work on.
    Hopefully next week we can get an update done that will allow you to read this ECM successfully.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

It is interesting to see how much it's changed. Not sure what the trace file tells you but this specific ECM is for a QSL9 that's in a Lobster Fishing Boat. It was repowered in 2016 with this engine, being new at that time. When I plugged into this boat I was really surprised to see that it had a CM850, being that the engine was so new. I was expecting to see a 2350 or something.

I think it is one of those ECM's that does the job just fine for off-highway applications so they just stick with the cheaper and simpler (and by now, proven) option.
    The trace was good enough that I could see there was some big differences between our bench CM850 and the one you were trying to read.
    I've been able to accommodate for two varieties of this ECM layout but there is a third that is going to be a real challenge, however I think that is the industrial applications version (generators, pumps etc).
    Next week we should be able to release an update that will get yours reading ok but we will still need to make some changes to display the ECM summary and checksums when done. Sorry you've ended up 'beta testing' but we really had no idea Cummins had made such a drastic change to the ECM and not given it a new name (eg, like CM2150D transformed to CM2150E).

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I was working on a forklift with cm850 yesterday. I tried to get a read and couldn't. I was not using latest software release though. I also tested for any supported scanner functions and nothing was supported. I'll update and retry next time I see the machine.

Any update on this? Summer is coming up and would love to be able to flash some Marine Engines. Would be even better if we had editor support!
    Thanks,
    Dominic

I did redo the CM850 files in the hope that it would account for all three configurations this ECM comes in when trying to read.
    https://www.efilive.com/latest/janua...ublic-release/

But if the read is successful the software still will not understand the checksums etc for your variation of the CM850. Annoyingly we need to get an actual read to be able to configure this.
    I had asked around a few tuners I know to see if they had later year CM850's lying around but nobody did, latest I got was 2005 like my ECM here.
    According to the calibration history your calibration W90571.0x was released in 2008 and uses the ECM P/N 4921776 like my 2005 which is very odd indeed given the differences.

I feel bad asking you to get back out to that engine just to try a read again when the file still will not be tunable at this stage.
    I might try to somehow force your calibration in to my ECM.....what could possibly go wrong
    Last edited by GMPX; January 28th, 2019 at 12:33 PM.

What could possibly go wrong.. haha. I will get to the engine later this week or early next week. I'll send the file then.
    Thanks,
    Dominic

Thanks Dominic.
    Just looking a bit closer I just can't see how the later file you are trying to deal with could possibly work in my ECM, I best leave it I think rather than brick mine.

Default CM850 2mb Read

Tucker QSL 9 Marine 405hp CM850.ctz

Above is the read from the ECM in question.
    Thanks for the help.
    Best Regards,
    Dominic

Thanks Dominic, there is good news and bad news. The good news is the read all appears to be fine, the bad news is this OS appears to be configured very differently to other CM850's. I am going to have to make more changes to the software so this file will open in V8 for you. I think after this change everything should be good to go with this file.
    All this comes about because it would appear this code was transitioning between their older ways of doing things and how later ECM's like the CM2150, CM2250 are, this OS sits like a mix of the two methods.
    Sorry I know this is annoying but we'll get there, unfortunately we can't pre-empt what we might come across out in the wild with Cummins.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast