Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel cutout issue (possible free beer inside)

A0001, 2, 11, 12, 13 are out of range...

fix them by doing this:
    - set them to max-1,
    - save file,
    - exit tune tool,
    - restart tunetool,
    - set them to max,
    - save file.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by rover346 View Post
    Jettmech if you have paypal pm me so I can send you a case of beer!!!!

Same for you scarab.

I paid for someone to do this for me and the guy gave me a base tune and walked. I paid in full to establish some fort of trust with the guy ��

Applying those changes now and will report
    Sorry to hear about your tuner taking your money and walking, not cool at all. :(

As Jetmech mentioned, check you MAF crossover and make sure you're in SD only for now (switch back to MAF only later to calibrate the MAF, or use the Calc.VET procedure to calculate the MAF curve). I didnt even get into the trans stuff, was more concerned with keeping your engine alive with better VE tables!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lesson learned and I justified the purchase of efi live as a scan tool. My top speed being 95 kph was my problem.Thank you very much for the help jetmech, spent quite a while on the side of the road trying to figure that out. I need to pay closer attention to measurements. I was making sure lambda was converting into the correct metric and missed the top speed.

I also spent more time with my VE tables as you suggested Scarab and got it dialed in. The truck gets the mail no problem now.

Is there a risk of the short term and long term fuel trims messing with the base tune of the engine or they only come into play during closed loop right?

Just double checking my bases.
    Last edited by rover346; January 22nd, 2018 at 08:01 PM.

Lifetime Member

I'd shut STFT and LTFTs off while doing your VE and then MAF tuning, re-enable before calling it good so you can adjust for different quality fuels.

Glad you got it figure out and got the VE dialed in. Bet it pulls a LOT harder now!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rover346 View Post
    Lesson learned and I justified the purchase of efi live as a scan tool. My top speed being 95 kph was my problem.Thank you very much for the help jetmech, spent quite a while on the side of the road trying to figure that out. I need to pay closer attention to measurements. I was making sure lambda was converting into the correct metric and missed the top speed.

I also spent more time with my VE tables as you suggested Scarab and got it dialed in. The truck gets the mail no problem now.

Is there a risk of the short term and long term fuel trims messing with the base tune of the engine or they only come into play during closed loop right?

Just double checking my bases.
    Hey Rover, super happy that worked! No need for beer (the former Sailor in me would be disgusted to hear that), I'm just here trying to repay all the help I got years ago from great guys like scarab, Joecar, statesman... Etc.

If your doing Calc.vet, make sure units are in g*K/kPa. Your current displacement is 5.3 L (B0104) in the tune, so tuning or viewing %VE will be skewed until you update that.

Also, in between actually working, I briefly noticed that your Vee map only goes up to 105 kilopascals, I would think that with the vortec you would be running a 2 bar tune, again I made just not have seen the whole thing yet and I'm not accustomed to the two bar tune but just something to look at

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmech442 View Post
    Hey Rover, super happy that worked! No need for beer (the former Sailor in me would be disgusted to hear that), I'm just here trying to repay all the help I got years ago from great guys like scarab, Joecar, statesman... Etc.

If your doing Calc.vet, make sure units are in g*K/kPa. Your current displacement is 5.3 L (B0104) in the tune, so tuning or viewing %VE will be skewed until you update that.

Also, in between actually working, I briefly noticed that your Vee map only goes up to 105 kilopascals, I would think that with the vortec you would be running a 2 bar tune, again I made just not have seen the whole thing yet and I'm not accustomed to the two bar tune but just something to look at

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Hey Jetmech,

The tune is running efi live custom OS so there is a main VE and The Boost VE as well. Somewhere in the tune I updated the Cylinder volume from a 5.3 to a 5.7 so that may be what your talking about but not sure. I went from 663 to 712 in that table for volume.

The Maf has been taken out completely and is a semi closed SD tune from what I've gathered. I'm not using PE and doing the commanded vs RPM. Once again I know enough to be dangerous so take it with a grain of salt.

Also is it normal to have some knock when snapping the throttle shut?? I have no knock while getting on it then when throttle shuts it pulls as much as 8 degrees for a split second

When throttle snaps shut, DFCO (decel fuel cut off) might enable, but it is not normal to get knock...

are you sure it's knock/detonation and not a loose bolt/crack allowing something to bang around...?

Without MAF, make sure you get a MAF DTC (otherwise it's not running from the VE tables).

While tuning, you might want to disable semi-open loop (beware: in COS, and stoich cell in B3647/B3649 will cause STFT-trimming).

Please use PE (set it up to provide sufficiently rich/safe fueling at load)(set it up to positively enable when you push down the throttle)...
    it's ok to use PE since the commanded fueling due to PE shows up in the commanded fueling pids (GM.EQIVRATIO, GM.AFR)...
    and you want to keep the engine safe in case the load/throttle increases.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Without MAF, make sure you get a MAF DTC (otherwise it's not running from the VE tables).

While tuning, you might want to disable semi-open loop (beware: in COS, and stoich cell in B3647/B3649 will cause STFT-trimming).

Please use PE (set it up to provide sufficiently rich/safe fueling at load)(set it up to positively enable when you push down the throttle)...
    it's ok to use PE since the commanded fueling due to PE shows up in the commanded fueling pids (GM.EQIVRATIO, GM.AFR)...
    and you want to keep the engine safe in case the load/throttle increases.
    Hey Joe,

Its seems without PE the truck is fueling correctly all the way through the rev range. (only revving to 5800) Would you still recommend using PE. I have the transmission set to kick down somewhat easily from 4>3 3>2 as to not lug it. It could be the gear train in the blower making noise when the throttle gets shut being interpreted as knock. I'm requesting about 11.2 at wot. But I'm a green pea so just letting you know what I have going on, the motors been run out at least 50 times while tuning and i slowly but surely took fuel out till I arrived at 11.2:1.

I set the transmission up to kick down because it would start to bog if I tried to load the motor at too low an rpm ( Huge cam, 5 inches of mercury at idle and 8.26:1 dynamic compression ratio so I have to be on boost to make any power)

MAF is set to fail instantly and truck seems to drive pretty well. ( Of course its hard to see what your missing when you never had it)

Also with narrow band O2 sensor would the computer be able to trim 14.2 since its that much lower that 14.7 or would the computer be on a mission to keep pulling fuel?

Can the custom OS handle bosch 4.9s in place of the factory narrow bands?

Thank you for the help
    Last edited by rover346; January 25th, 2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: More info

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast