Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LS1B Bricked?

Thanks for all the help guys. Got the ECM back from pcmcalibrators.com today and got the truck running. However when i went to connect to the ecm efilive told me i needed to license the ecm. So i had to use up one of my extra vin licenses. I was under the understanding that when i sent the ecm to pcmcalibrators to be fixed i wouldn't need to relicense the ecm or use one of my vin licenses. So now i'm down a vin license. Anyway i can get that one back or do i need to just suck it up and purchase another one? If so i understand, it's my own fault for bricking it. Thanks again!

Edit: Sorry my post was incorrect.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Last edited by GMPX; February 6th, 2018 at 02:51 PM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burnett03 View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. Got the ECM back from pcmcalibrators.com today and got the truck running. However when i went to connect to the ecm efilive told me i needed to license the ecm. So i had to use up one of my extra vin licenses. I was under the understanding that when i sent the ecm to pcmcalibrators to be fixed i wouldn't need to relicense the ecm or use one of my vin licenses. So now i'm down a vin license. Anyway i can get that one back or do i need to just suck it up and purchase another one? If so i understand, it's my own fault for bricking it. Thanks again!
    Send your FlashScan serial and auth-code to me paul@efilive.com and I'll send you a replacement VIN license so you can re-license it.
    Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I'm unsure what AJ did wether he fixed the chip or swapped ecm. I was under the impression he was fixing mine. Either way it's back up and running now, just had to use my extra license. I'll be more careful in the future when flashing.

Thank you for your help, I sent you an email. I think the problem lies in the fact that AJ from pcm calibrators put the incorrect engine # in the calibration file. He put "O" instead of "0' (zero) That's what i had to re-license the ecm.
    Last edited by Burnett03; February 6th, 2018 at 04:02 PM.

Paul did you ever get my email?

Quote Originally Posted by Burnett03 View Post
    Paul did you ever get my email?
    Yes, I did. Sorry, I dropped the ball on this. I'll send a replacement VIN asap.
    Regards
    Paul

Thank you for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    If it was a full flash then yes it is probably bricked. It can be recovered by removing the flash chip from the main circuit board and reprogramming the flash chip in an external flash chip programmer. I believe SoCal Diesel offer that service.

One way to know for sure is after hooking up FlashScan, watch the orange LED second from the right. If it blinks rapidly (4 times per second) all the time, then the PCM is in dead-poll and should be recoverable. That contsant blinking is the PCM "asking" any connected tool for a new calibration. If it blinks just a few times and then stops then it is bricked, in that case the initial burst of blinking is attempting to contact the PCM.

Regards
    Paul
    I know this is an old post, but I think it's relevant to my issue with the hypertech and I think this part in particular is very helpful. Besides the light flashing, is there another way to tell if the PCM is bricked vs dead polled? If I can pull a file from the PCM with invalid checksums, does that indicate dead poll?

To recover I would just need a "good" file and a full flash?

If you can read a file from the PCM, then you should be able to flash it without any issues.

If the operating system segment checksum is OK, then you only need to cal-flash it.
    If the operating system segment checksum is faulty, then you'll need to full-flash it.

If you need to do a full-flash, I suggest doing a test full-flash first. That will go through all the motions of actually full-flashing it without actually altering anything in the PCM. That will give you confidence that a real (non-test) full-flash should complete successfully.

Use this option to do a test flash:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test-flash.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	23896

Regards
    Paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast