Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
No, the target ECM does not need to be licensed. However to flash back in a valid calibration the ECM will need to be licensed.
Once the key is found the ECM is cal-erased and left in a dead-poll and unlocked state.
The ECM must then be cal-flashed with whatever file is compatible with the controller's OS or full-flashed with whatever file is compatible with the controller hardware/boot block.

The tune that is loaded while performing the unlock does not need to be compatible with the target controller as it is not flashed into the controller. But it is a good idea to have a valid tune file ready to flash back in once it has been unlocked/erased - otherwise the ECM will be non-function without a calibration in it.

Regards
Paul

That makes a lot more sense now. As i was wondering how you would get around flashing over say a locked custom os hpt tune.

I assumed that it would be on the read side that we would be trying to find the unlock code. not on the flash.

The program i use was written by a local guy here in Perth which uses an old ELM cable, so it's purely to find the code so i can reset back to stock and flash over.