Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beta Test Release #1 (Feb 2018)

Lifetime Member

( point is lots of shops asked for this because they were fed up with organising new ECM's or sending them away to be unlocked)
    yeah I am so tired of dealing with that. I have a locked e40 on my dyno right now after 2 weeks I found a ecm what a pain
    I was going to try this but sounds like I need to add a e40 connector to my bench flash so I can test this.
    I will be happy with putting a base tune back in to unlock it I do not care about some one else work it has a new motor in it
    now from the last tuner
    Question I have is your example rang of 0001 to fffe does that cover all possible key ranges if so any idea how long it would take to cover them all
    month, 3 years 10 years?
    or is there any way to cover them all or know how long it would take

worst case its like 8 days

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    So Unlock My ECU (UME) by Envyous Customs? Lucky the world is so honest and people wouldn't use that to find the Key and unlock with tuning software That is like not holding a locksmith to blame when burglars enter via the front door with a key.
    Did EFI Live purchase the rights to his work???

There is nothing to purchase, the efilive guys already know how to unlock a standard locked ecu with the known algorithms. All they are doing is just "brute-forcing" all the possible keys from 0000 to fffe (hex data) and anyone who knows how to talk to the gm ecu's could come up with this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastBrick View Post
    Did EFI Live purchase the rights to his work???
    Interesting question, I didn't think that people would assume that but I guess it's a fair observation.
    There was one driving factor behind why we added this function in for all our users, and that is tools like the Envyous Customs unlocker expose the unlock Key to the user. This means once found they can enter in the unlock key to their desired tuning tool and read the file out (tuners get pretty mad about this).

Over the years we've considered coming up with far more elaborate ECM locking systems than what GM have but in the end 99% of the time the only person that will inconvenience is the innocent tuner or the car owner so it wasn't worth it.

The hope is that with all our customers now being able to unlock ECM's it should reduce down time when locked vehicles come in for a tune, plus the way it works the tune ECM will be removed when the ECM is unlocked so it works along side the industry rather than exposing all the secrets tuners might have in their tunes.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    There is nothing to purchase, the efilive guys already know how to unlock a standard locked ecu with the known algorithms. All they are doing is just "brute-forcing" all the possible keys from 0000 to fffe (hex data) and anyone who knows how to talk to the gm ecu's could come up with this.
    Someone purchased the rights to UME. I was just curious if it was EFI Live.

Previously I was trying to help a friend with a Locked ECU situation. We had no info on who previously tuned it or work that may have been done to it.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Interesting question, I didn't think that people would assume that but I guess it's a fair observation.
    There was one driving factor behind why we added this function in for all our users, and that is tools like the Envyous Customs unlocker expose the unlock Key to the user. This means once found they can enter in the unlock key to their desired tuning tool and read the file out (tuners get pretty mad about this).

Over the years we've considered coming up with far more elaborate ECM locking systems than what GM have but in the end 99% of the time the only person that will inconvenience is the innocent tuner or the car owner so it wasn't worth it.

The hope is that with all our customers now being able to unlock ECM's it should reduce down time when locked vehicles come in for a tune, plus the way it works the tune ECM will be removed when the ECM is unlocked so it works along side the industry rather than exposing all the secrets tuners might have in their tunes.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Thanks EFI Live for adding the feature!

I was just curious because I contacted him last year about his product. At that Time he stated he sold the rights to that specific product and under his contract he could not discuss who the seller was.
    He also didn't want to alienate any of his customers that had purchase it prior to selling the rights.

While I could see how some could use it in a negative manner, That was not my intention.

While some ECU's aren't worth the cost to send out and have unlocked and sent back, some ECU's are very expensive even on the used market. I was looking for an alternative way to recover ECU's.

Was just curious is all. Thanks for replying

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastBrick View Post
    Someone purchased the rights to UME. I was just curious if it was EFI Live.
    Right, now your question makes sense. Well, sorry to whoever purchased it
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

yeah im not sure why anyone would of purchased the rights. Didn't think there really is anything of it to own. I can understand him charging a license fee per person.

Guys have worked out to do the brute force thing using windows powershell scripting so yeah.. what would you be buying but an gui interface with some scripting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    what would you be buying but an gui interface with some scripting.
    LOL, so true.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123