Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $0281 efi live wont start

Angry $0281 efi live wont start

Purchased tunes from PPEI and ran 'program full' to 80% and it reads 'error 0281' every time. I can't get it to finish and now the truck wont start.

Lifetime Member

Error 0281 is No data received and Im guessing you have an AutoCal. Start with the basics, ignition on, key off, start the programming. If you're doing a DSP/switchable tune, you need to program full. If regular tunes, program calibration.

If that doesnt fix it, you're going to have to talk to PPEI to have them help you troubleshoot.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Sounds like it's time to pull the ecm and put it on the bench..

You have something on the bus causing issues. I just had to do the same thing last night. After the 1st erasing step, it shot back the Error 0281 when V8 went to download the 1st segment. Put the ecm on the bench and flashed in with no problems.

I have this same problem with my 2015 LML. I didnt see this error when I did the tune before I deleted everything. Now that I'm done under the hood. Truck wont start and i have this error code when i go to view DTCs. Did you get it figured out? What do I have to do?

Did you figure things out? I have the same issue with LMM. Started right up after full delete, then tried installing tunes and now it won't start error 0281 and "File System Full"

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by johnniel1 View Post
    Did you figure things out? I have the same issue with LMM. Started right up after full delete, then tried installing tunes and now it won't start error 0281 and "File System Full"

Any help would be appreciated.
    I contacted the place that sold me my tunes.. you can try the same thing if you want. They just had me disconnect batteries for 10min then reinstall tunes from start to finish. If you have a file for your OEM stock tune, you will have to make sure that is flashed first before any others.

Default 0281 EFI Live wont start

Quote Originally Posted by DiezelMoFo6.6 View Post
    I contacted the place that sold me my tunes.. you can try the same thing if you want. They just had me disconnect batteries for 10min then reinstall tunes from start to finish. If you have a file for your OEM stock tune, you will have to make sure that is flashed first before any others.
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to call the company that sold me mine. They weren't open yesterday on Sunday, although their website says "24/7 text service" but they didn't respond to my text message. I will post on here what happens after I get in touch with them.

I didn't get off as easy. Spent half the day talking on the phone and sending emails back and forth but in the end they said the ECU is bricked and I had to send it to them so they could bench tune it. At least they are hanging in there with me.Hopefully will have it back by the weekend. Will update the post as I go along.

Well the saga continues. Got my ecm back from the tuner and they said that they could only load one of my three tunes. They believe that it has been tuned by a previous owner and there is an issue loading new tunes over them, but "I at least have one." (Which makes no sense to me...if you can load one why can't you load them all??) Put the ecm in the truck, same thing...no start/no crank. Called the tuner back and they were A-holes, they said I should buy a reman ecm and start from scratch with the tuning. Bought a reman ecm from FS1 programmed to my VIN, put it in the truck...same thing, no crank/no start. Checked every fuse and relay in the truck (again!!), jumped the starter relay and it will crank but no start. Tuner folks began ignoring me, but I finally got through and said I wanted a refund,which they gave me. Purchased new EFI Live and Autocal from new tuner with 5 tunes and a "return to stock." Had the truck towed to my local diesel performance mechanic and he says it WILL run. He needs it for a week because he is backed up. Will keep posting till the end!
    Last edited by johnniel1; March 9th, 2020 at 04:43 AM.

It's been a while now and I realized I never did finalize this post. The mechanic said he wanted to try my original ECM that the other tuner said was bricked, and then said they could only load one tune. He said they were full of sh!t, that there were no tunes loaded on the original ecm. He said the problem was that when I tried loading the tunes it tripped the security lock out on the truck.He reset that and then loaded the new tunes into my old ECM without any problem and away I went. Fortunately I was able to send the reman ECM back. Stay away from Same Day Tuning! Nothing about them is "Same Day" they are a couple of kids that played around with EFI Live on their own trucks and thought they could open a business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast