Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help with base tune?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    +1 on what statesman said, be careful to not allow knock.

First get NA tuned/running right (including idle).

Not going into boost indicates a physical problem, you will have to fix this first.
    The truck will boost just fine but goes pig rich at around 3psi. I followed the COS tutorial to create a starting point for the boost ve table but it seems way to rich.

Quote Originally Posted by statesman View Post
    Tuning a boosted engine while learning the basics... now there's a recipe for disaster.

I don't do much tuning on turbo boosted engines. You really need to get the EGT into the happy zone for the turbo to work well, which can be an absolute PITA... but that's something to worry about AFTER you get the basic tune right.

I might be able to give you a nudge in the right direction. Does your engine have a MAF sensor fitted?... and what mods have been done besides what you've already told us about?
    I didnt realize people were still using egt to tune turbo gas motors. I assumed everyone was using wideband like me.
    Here is what's done:
    COS3
    s475 t4 turbo
    fmic
    aem wideband
    dual walbro 450s in tank
    AFPR set at 55psi with vacuum line off
    Deka 80lb injectors
    No maf
    gm iat in upper boost pipe
    3 bar map sensor
    4" exhaust

Thanks for offering to help.

Can you post your calc_pids.txt file.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Burnett03 View Post
    I didnt realize people were still using egt to tune turbo gas motors. I assumed everyone was using wideband like me.
    Yeah, you can tune with the wideband and that will get your fueling 'right', so to speak.... but EGT is governed by a combination of fuel and spark. Let's see how long your turbo lasts if you end up running really high EGT and you overheat the turbo.... your wideband will still be reading 'right' while your turbo is exploding.

Some of us old folk actually understand the importance of EGT on turbo'd engines... which is why I mostly avoid tuning them. It's also why supercharging is so popular now... the worst you can get with a badly tuned supercharged engine is glowing headers.

I'll try to look over your files in the next day or two.

I hope you didn't take offense to that. It wasn't intended that way. Back when i was big into 4 cylinder turbo cars all we had to tune with was a narrowband o2 and an EGT. I understand the importance of high EGT's i just hadn't seen many people using them anymore. Obviously both my diesel trucks have them and i monitor them like a hawk. Thanks for your time.

I've attached the calc_pids
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

I've had a look at your files and here's what I've found...

The rich in boost is because you've set your Boost VE Table {A0009} wrong. People who don't have a boost referenced FPR have that table sloping up because they need to compensate for the reduced injector flow rate in boost... but you do have boost referencing, so your boost ve table needs to be a lot flatter.

As joecar has pointed out to you previously, your Main VE Table looks wrong. You've dug a massive hole in it trying to combat a rich decel... and the rich decel is still there. Make the following changes...

{B4003} Minimum Injector Pulse Width... Set all values to 0.25
    {B4004} Default Minimum Pulse Width... Set all values to 0.25
    {B4005}Small Pulse Adjust... Set all values to zero.

You should have less problems tuning the VE with these settings.

Your main spark table is flat above 0.8g/s... you're likely to exceed that, so be careful you don't get any knock. Personally, I'd slope the spark table down a bit while tuning and then bring it back up slowly while you're actually tuning the spark.

Quote Originally Posted by statesman View Post
    I've had a look at your files and here's what I've found...

The rich in boost is because you've set your Boost VE Table {A0009} wrong. People who don't have a boost referenced FPR have that table sloping up because they need to compensate for the reduced injector flow rate in boost... but you do have boost referencing, so your boost ve table needs to be a lot flatter.

Ahh that makes perfect sense, thank you.

As joecar has pointed out to you previously, your Main VE Table looks wrong. You've dug a massive hole in it trying to combat a rich decel... and the rich decel is still there. Make the following changes...

Yes it's very rich on decal according to the BEN map.

{B4003} Minimum Injector Pulse Width... Set all values to 0.25
    {B4004} Default Minimum Pulse Width... Set all values to 0.25
    {B4005}Small Pulse Adjust... Set all values to zero.

You should have less problems tuning the VE with these settings.

I will do this, thank you.

Your main spark table is flat above 0.8g/s... you're likely to exceed that, so be careful you don't get any knock. Personally, I'd slope the spark table down a bit while tuning and then bring it back up slowly while you're actually tuning the spark.
    Got it. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234