Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with service engine light

Default Help with service engine light

I'm having trouble tracking down this problem. Service engine light comes on and flashes ONLY when driving, when I slow down to an idle it goes off. I use the EFI Live scanner to try and pull the code but nothing comes up....I've even tried to pull it while driving and still nothing. Along with the annoying light flashing on my dash, this prevents my converter from locking up into OD. While driving I clear the code-the converter locks in and the light goes off...A few seconds later the converter unlocks and the light comes back on. If anyone can help figure this out I'd greatly appreciate it.

When the MIL flashes it is indicating misfires detected...

log the pid GM.MFTOTAL.

While driving I clear the code-the converter locks in and the light goes off...
    Which code are you clearing...?

None in particular. Just clicking to clear all codes while driving and it clears for a few seconds and allows the converter to lock up. I'll try to log the misfires and see what happens from there.

Also log GM.TSTATE09 and GM.TSTATE10, these will show the reason for TCC unlocking.

I went for a drive and I'm getting misfires from a few cylinders but one in particular sticks out worse than the rest. I guess it's time for new coils or an injector clean. Already have brand new plugs and wires.

Thanks Joe! Looks like TSTATE10 shows I'm not locking up due to misfire. I should be good to go once I get this taken care of.

I just ruled out the coil by swapping it with the coil from the #1 cylinder and the misfire is still on #6

So I ordered a "new" set of 42 lb marine injectors off of a store on ebay for $80 compared to the $509 I found on amazon. The misfires are down to a minimum and the service engine light is on no more....Also the torque converter is locking up now so mission accomplished there. BUT of course, another problem. I replaced the injectors with the same exact 42 lb marine injectors I took out. My truck ran fine at idle and WOT but now I have an extremely lean condition. Truck hardly wants to sit and idle at all. I can play with the pedal and get it to clean up but still goes completely lean and detonates when giving it decent throttle. I've added up to 15% more to my VE table (not sure if I should've or not) and it still didn't fix the issue. Only thing I can think of is when I pulled the injectors from the rail the fuel poured out onto the top of the intake and most likely into some of the cylinders as well. Maybe fouled out some of the plugs??? Any input...thoughts? ideas?

If you leave out the spark plugs overnight, the fuel in the cylinders will evaporate;
    some fuel will filter past the piston rings into the oil;
    some fuel might be pooled inside the intake manifold, this would evaporate on its own over time, but while it's still pooled it will most likely affect idle.

To give you an update I got this figured out. Result was one bad injector so after wasting money and time (and almost damaging my engine with cheap injectors) I ordered a Delphi replacement. Some misfires are still detected but they are minimal. The light is off and the converter is locking in a little better though it still needs tuning.

I'm trying to get my speedometer dialed in to get my shift points right, first. As of now I can't even get it to make a wot 1-2 shift and I have the rpm set point at low as 5700. I need to go make a few logs to see what's going on. For some reason I can't select some pid's that I need to. How do I get the "x" off of it so I can select it?
    Last edited by 12sec.5.3; April 7th, 2018 at 11:58 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast