Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed Density VS MAF

Default Speed Density VS MAF

I am getting ready to tune my 8.1 build, and have some questions so that I understand what I'm doing and will it get me where I want to be when finished. First this is an assembled truck, never built as far as I can find out; DBC 8.1L / 4L80E / 4X4 in a 2001 Silverado. Running a 1MB ECU don't remember the number, with a segment swapped tune.

My first question is if I do the auto VE? Can I switch back to MAF? I want the economy benefit of closed loop.

Or should I must jump straight to calc ve? I am going to be forced to understand this stuff. Lol

My opinion is to run Calc.vet first. when your done, you re-enable closed loop. It worked great for me.

Making sure the Wideband is installed exactly as the manufacturer described is a big deal, spend some time and run the wires. Good luck man.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The last time I tried to run a Calc VE the tutorial was incomplete, has it been updated? I hate to be a butt, but it would be nice to be able to go to one location to get the information that you need. I'm not a program guru, I am however a decent tech. Lol makes it hard for me to find what I need, when I don't fully understand the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinbender59 View Post
    My first question is if I do the auto VE? Can I switch back to MAF? I want the economy benefit of closed loop.
    Yes, after AutoVE you can run the MAF (you might want to correct the MAF table, i.e. do AutoMAF).

MAF/VE are orthogonal to OL/CL (i.e. they are separate of each other)...
    i.e. you can run any of these:
    * VE + OL
    * VE + CL
    * MAF + OL
    * MAF + CL
    * MAF/VE + OL
    * MAF/VE + CL

( where MAF = MAF-only; MAF/VE = combination MAF and VE, see table B0120 )

Or should I must jump straight to calc ve? I am going to be forced to understand this stuff. Lol
    See the Calc.VET thread (the tutorial is post #1, follow any links it mentions): Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log)

you will need a wideband.

MAF must have straight pipe before and after it (6" or more on each side is recommended).

Quote Originally Posted by Tinbender59 View Post
    The last time I tried to run a Calc VE the tutorial was incomplete, has it been updated? I hate to be a butt, but it would be nice to be able to go to one location to get the information that you need. I'm not a program guru, I am however a decent tech. Lol makes it hard for me to find what I need, when I don't fully understand the process.
    Calc.VE has become Calc.VET, this has been updated, see post #1 here, read thru it, follow the links: Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log)

Let me know if anything is obtuse, I want it to be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Let me know if anything is obtuse, I want it to be clear.
    Yes Sir, will do. I have an LC2 with new bosch sensors, EFILive newest update. On we go!!

Is there any advantage SD vs MAF? I have always enjoyed the benefits of CL, never really cared for SD, but I would like to hear what you all think?

Lifetime Member

CL is closed loop, this can operate in SD, MAF or SD/MAF.

Personally 90% of my app is off road race and I delete the MAF in everyone. Too many clogged air filters or dirty MAFs and when engines start costing 25-30K each you want them to work everywhere without fear.

On tuning street car stuff I always leave the MAF blended but fully disable and tune the SD side first. Then come back re enable and blend the maf at the point the air is steady. Depending on the intake setup, cam, heads....... dynamic crossover can vary rig to rig.

MAF only tuning to me has always seemed like the easy way out tune.. Theres too many other calculations going on to rely on maf only in my apps. None of this is just pin it to win it. We have too meany transient fuel situations that would totally disrupt steady state air.
    Last edited by ProperTuningOG; April 18th, 2018 at 03:27 AM.

Wow, sounds like someone needs to start an EFILive university. IE week long training seminars.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast